Wound separation after Breast lift? (Photo)

I had a breast lift done 2 weeks ago followed by hematoma evacuation surgery. I noticed incision separation which became larger after removing the suture plus pus and some blood discharge on daily dressing. However, My surgeon said it is ok!! Should this area be re-stitched to pull the skin together?? Is it posiible to be infected??

Breast scar Revision

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size. I sometimes add fat grafting to the upper pole to give more cleavage if needed or wanted.

Wait at least 12 months before a scar revision.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Wound Separation at 2 Weeks Post-Op

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days. If your incision is healing and the suture has dissolved, it would be best to take this question directly to have your surgeon examine for proper healing.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Postop wounds

It is always tricky to advise without examining you but in general I would let the wounds heal at the moment. The scars will mature and fade with time and any additional scar revisions should only be considered aat the 6-12 month time frame. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Trying to close open, exposed wounds

in general is a no no... as it will fail and the wound will fall apart again.  Now if you want to get real complex and the tissue is available to allow for a minimal tension closure AFTER excising the edges and the base of the wound, secondary closure could be done.  When the wound will heal on its own with TLC, why even bother with secondary closure???  I would leave it alone and let it heal on its own.

Curtis Wong, MD

Time to close wound

You are already in the right moment to close the wound again with plastic surgery techniques. If it is well done, it will be perfect and with a proper scar, as if it had never happened.

Kenneth Schimensky, MD

Wound separation after Breast lift?

I'm sorry to hear of your complication, but these things do happen occassionaly. You should be receiving appropriate wound care instructions from your surgeon for now. Resuturing is not an option due to the high likelihood of infection as a result. In a few weeks it will be totally healed and in 6 months you will be able to get the wide scar revised.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Wound separation after breast lift

Re-suturing would not be a good idea - it is best just to leave the area alone and let it heal.  Treatment with antibiotics would only be indicated if the area became a lot more sore and reddened.  Sutures do not "dissolve" the way sugar does in water but the body attacks them and creates a bit of pus in the process.  A small amount of pus can just be a suture reaction.

Wound separation after Breast lift?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast lifting surgery. Separations along incision lines, after breast lifting surgery, can occur (and usually heal over the course of a few weeks).  Sometimes removal of unhealthy tissue and/or exposed sutures helps expedite healing. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Wound issue

This looks like a minor wound issue that likely would go on to heal with local wound care. Best of luck.   

Wound opening post lift

good day,

At this time you have a superficial wound breakdown and it is best managed by local wound care with dressings. If you were taken back to the operating room, the tissues may be too friable to hold sutures. Even though it's a nuisance,you will heal up with dressing changes. You may have a thicker scar there in the end but keep following up with your doctor.

Tahira Prendergast, MD
Columbus General Surgeon