I develop keloids very easy. Is it safe for me to do Smart Lipo on my abdomen?

The Answer Depends on Your Medical History

Thanks for your question; I hear it a lot during consultations. Smartlipo uses very small incisions to access unwanted fat, so excessive scarring is especially uncommon. However, given your stated tendency to develop keloids, the answer really depends on your past history. What procedures have you had that led to keloids? Are they truly keloids or are they hypertrophic scars? I have never actually seen a keloid scar after liposuction. I recommend consulting with an experienced surgeon who can evaluate your current scars and help you better understand the risk. But take comfort: Your surgeon may also be able to recommend discreet locations for your incisions, minimizing the risk of a visual scar even if keloids were to develop. 

Spokane General Surgeon

SmartLipo & keloids

Thank you for your question. SmartLipo can still be an option for you. The incisions are very small and do not require stitches. You can work with the doctor to choose areas that can be easily hidden if you are still worried.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Smart Liposuction and Keloids

I have never seen anyone develop scarring from liposuction it self, from cutting the skin you can.  I suggest you see an expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scarring problems

Thank you for your question. There is always a risk of forming a poor scar with any injury to the skin. That does not necessarily need to detract you from considering Smartlipo as we use very small incisions. Perhaps, in your case, the placement of them could be chosen to avoid them being conspicuous (hidden by your clothing). I would bring this concern up with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Good choice

SmartLipo with it small incisions is an excellent choice for a patient that forms keloids after surgery.

Keloids and SmartLipo

The incisions for SmartLipo are extremely small.  So small I don't even stitch them.  That said, a true keloid will grow beyond the bounds of the scar and could be a problem.  However, I would want to know more detail about your keloid history, and whether they were true keloids.  Many people use the term keloid too loosely (including doctors).  Most "keloids" are not keloids at all, but rather hypertrophic scars.  Most people have seen hypertrophic scars: They are fairly common, and are thick, firm, often red or purple scars. They don't grow beyond the immediate area of the scar.  There are many things we can do with them, including steroid injections, lasering, surgical removal.  They tend to improve reliably with these techniques whereas keloids can come back and can need even more aggressive treatments.