Septoplasty - No packing or splints. Should I be concerned?

I had septoplasty a few days ago and after the surgery I didn't get to ask the surgeon but later learned from the nurse that no splint or packing was used. Should I be concerned? Do I need to be much more careful as my septum doesn't have support? Thanks.

Dear Painful Septum, I perform multiple septoplasty and rhinoplasty procedures weekly and I do not normally use splints with septoplasty patients. The exception for this is for patients who have a septal adhesion and with all patients I use a small telfa pack for only 24 hours. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Splints and septoplasty

Many surgeons prefer not to use packing or splints after septoplasty. In fact, there are various studies showing postoperative outcomes are similar with and without them. When surgery is done properly your nose should still have all the support it needs to heal well. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Packing and Splints for Septoplasty Surgery

Traditionally after nasal surgery, plastic surgeons will use packing for splints to support the nasal structure during recovery. However with advancements in medical technology, it is perfectly normal for surgeons to skip the splints and packing for a septoplasty. Packing is generally avoided all-together with the modern dissolvable materials we have now. Depending on your unique case, you may not need a splint for your nose. If you are still concerned, I recommend speaking to your plastic surgeon or consulting another plastic surgeon about your case

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty splints

Thank you for your question.I almost never use splints. This is usually determined by the surgeon's preference. You do not need to be concerned. The splints should not be providing the support anyway - your remaining cartilage does. There are certainly cases where splints would be beneficial, but sounds like this may not be the case with you.Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon, as he/she is the only person who truly knows what was done in surgery and can give you the best explanation for why splints were not necessary.
Speedy Recovery!

Michael Yerukhim, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon