Buried Penis, Scrotum, Constriction/Pain. What Are My Options? (photo)

Hi I'm 25 years old and weigh 220 lbs and have a large fat mass surrounding my penis and scrotum. Penis size is normal. The glans frequently invaginates into the surrounding penile skin when bending over and not erect. I also feel like my scrotal sac is being pushed in an anterior/superior direction and often feel constriction and occasionally pain around this area. I would like this fat removed surgically but am wondering if this procedure is typically covered by insurance companies.

Doctor Answers 5

Buried Penis, Scrotum, Constriction/Pain. What Are My Options?

Seek a surgical team of a urologist & plastic surgeon to correct the buried penis anatomy. Also liposuction of the pubis area is needed. The only double boarded Ps doing these urolo-plastic operations is Dr Gray Alter in California. Might be worth a phone call to his office 310 275 5566. Than you can discover if your health insurance might cover the operations, I personally doubt but still worth the call. Good luck. 

Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Buried Penis, Scrotum, Constriction/Pain

Thank you for your question.  Your individual insurance policy through your company will let you know your covered benefits.  Generally speaking, there must be some documentation of specific symptoms.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in the correction of this condition can help you to understand what your options are.  Best wishes.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Buried Penis, Scrotum, Constriction/Pain Options?

I have treated a few cases like this so can give some general  comments.

  • Insurance coverage is uncommon unless there are specific symptoms that are documented. 
  • Liposuction for fat removal may be a good start, followed by surgical removal of the extra pubic skin
  • If the penis is contracted due to scar tissue, a scar release with a skin graft may be helpful
  • Cutting the suspensory ligament of the penis may be considered for increased length
  • Your plastic surgeon may want to work together with a urologists on this

Good Luck

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

Treatment for a buried penis

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon problem with obesity, but fortunately there are options.  Depending on the severity of your problem, you may benefit from liposuction, release of the suspensory ligament of the penis, excision of excess skin, and skin grafting.  The simplest option starts with liposuction and proceeds with increased complexity from there.  I would suggest that you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  He or she may work with a urologist depending on the complexity of your case.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Buried Penis, Scrotum, Constriction/Pain. What Are My Options?

Many thanks for the question.Its a common problem after obesity.A good PS can remove all the fat that has berried your penis inside it.Just go for it. Wish you good luck

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.