Botox and 11s. Will Botox work to improve static lines as well as movement lines for everyone?

I've had Botox and really liked the results. My 11s were also present when I made no facial motion. Botox completely smoothed them out! A friend also has bad 11s. I suggested Botox to her as a miracle worker. Money is tight for her. Her doctor says Botox may not rid all of the lines but it would help lots. I don't want her to spend money if it doesn't work, but I do want her to give it a try to see big improvement. Will Botox work to improve static lines as well as movement lines for everyone?

Botox Stills Dynamic Muscles; Fillers Smooth Static Wrinkles

Botox works for most people whose wrinkles are caused by dynamic muscles folding the skin. However, success is contingent on the quality of the patient's skin as well as how deep the wrinkles are. Your friend will likely see improvement, but if her lines are especially deep, a dermal filler such as Restylane or Juvederm may be recommended for further improvement. If she has realistic expectations, Botox may be enough for her; otherwise, she may be able to work out a payment plan with her board-certified dermatologist so that she can get the full improvement she seeks. In any case, it is important that she see an experienced dermatologist in person so that her wrinkles can be evaluated and she can take the best course of action. 

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Deep lines after Botox

If a person has really deep static lines, Botox will not take them away completely. It will soften the lines because the inability to frown and contract the muscles will make the lines soften immediately and over time.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Botox for 11s

Botox can help reduce the appearance of 11s but your friend should see an experienced injector to determine if it's right for her. Sometimes, fillers can be injected as well to achieve the desired improvement. 

Botox

You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options. An in person examination is needed.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Botox for the 11s

Patients generally find the best results with botox in the 11 lines. It is remarkable. If your friend doesn't have the money for the procedure, don't pressure her into it. Botox for "11" lines is a cosmetic treatment and I'm confident that your friend will love the result. With that being said, not worth it to break the bank.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Botox and 11s

Botox works by relaxing dynamic movement of muscles.  Over time, the 11 lines can continue to fade because the frown muscles are not contracting.  If the lines are deep, Botox may not be enough and volume needs to be replaced with fillers for a smoother appearance.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

In younger patients with healthy skin, Botox can create improvement in imprinted lines by eliminating the repetitive folding of that skin. However, in older patients or those with alot of sun damage a small amount of dermal filler is sometimes required in addition to Botox to eliminate the imprinted fold. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

The General Rule: Botox For Lines From Movement & Fillers For Lines At Rest

While the general rule is that Botox (as well as the other neuromodulators, Dysport and Xeomin) are used for wrinkles that result from the movement of the muscles of facial expression, if the skin above those muscles has developed etched-in lines as a result of years of repetitive use of the underlying muscles, Botox may not be enough to eliminate the lines entirely. In such cases, a filler may additionally be needed to take care of the lines at rest that have resulted from all those years of smiling, frowning, etc.

That having been said, if the problem is caught early enough before the overlying skin has become heavily creased like folded paper, the simple injection of the Botox to soften the reaction of the muscle upon movement and to decrease the static tension that often exists in these muscles even at rest, may be enough, as it was with you, to do the job. 

Make sure your friend sees an experienced injector. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Botox and 11 Lines

Botox works mainly for lines of movement (dynamic rhytides) however, lines at rest improve as the muscles become less prominent or active.  I suggest seeking botox treatment from an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

some people have a low level of muscle contraction all the time and in that percentage of people the line seems to be there at rest, when actually the are unconsciously flexing the muscle. A true line that is static is there because the skin has been damaged and collagen and elastin lost and Botox will possibly improve but not eliminate it, some people need both a filler and then Botox. What the doctor told her is correct.

Julio Garcia, MD