Bruising with Radiesse

I have a huge bruise on my chin from radiesse injections. Is this normal? Check out my photo. I also wondered if it's the injector's fault that caused the bruising. It's only bad on one side.

Radiesse and Bruising

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Bruising is a common side effect after Radiesse injections.

Bruising depends on:
  • The locations into which it is placed
  • The patient’s predisposition to bruising 
  • The injection technique.
If you get a bruise, it generally lasts 1-2 weeks.

Skokie Dermatologist

Bruising with Radiesse or Any Injectable

I think that bruising is a side effect of the injection, not the filler. I use a blunt micro-cannula, the "Magic Needle". Since it is blunt it is much less likely to cause bruising. Another benefit is that it does not require any anesthetic, so patients do not need nerve blocks and have numb faces and lips when they leave. These micro-cannulas come with a slightly larger needle that is just used to make a tiny puncture for the thin cannula to pass through. This spot is the only place that is anesthetized. This works very nicely for the lips as well.

Radiesse’s after Effect - Bruising

Radiesse, like many other fillers, have its own set of after effects that patient’s may or may not experience. That said, it is not uncommon if you do experience it. One of these after effects would be bruising. Bruising may be caused by several factors, most of which are due to the injection and not by the filler. One factor is your body’s bruising predisposition. Some bodies will be able to tolerate Radiesse injection well, which is why no bruising will be experienced while others have lesser tolerance to bruising. To explain further, since Radiesse is administered by injection, the needle punctures small vessels near in the treatment site. This will at times lead to bruising and even swelling. A couple of other factors would be the site where Radiesse was injected and the injection technique of your injector. That said, bruising should heal on its own and it should heal in just about a couple of days. However, others may experience complete disappearance in one or two weeks. Should the bruising last longer than it should, pay your doctor a visit so he or she can check out your progress.

Bruising wih radiesse

Unfortunately no matter how careful and gentle an injector is bruising is a definite risk for every injection. It's frustrating to have to wait to enjoy your results but there will be no permanent side effects.

Bruising is not the injector's fault

Any needle can cause a bruise and since the needle is passed many times, you will be more susceptible to bruising. You can potentially decrease the amount of bruising that might occur by stopping any blood thinners at least two weeks prior to the procedure. These include, asprin, motrin, advil, green tea, omega fatty acids, mega vitamins, fish oils...and the list continues. You can also obtain Arnica as well. This has been reported to decrease the amount of bruising after surgery and/or injections.

Also after the procedure, apply ice and avoid any rigorous activity. If you bruise, rest assured that it almost always subsides over time.

Bruising after Radiesse and expectations

Bruising can happen with any of the injectables and fillers. Anytime you introduce a needle anywhere in the body the tissue is traumatized so it is definitely normal to expect this after the injection. Some areas that bruise more than others are the chin area and below the lips on either side which you experienced. There are tips to help avoid bruising such as requesting ice to be used on the area before injecting. Pre-icing, in my opinion, helps to minimize the bruising. Also, stopping aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, fish oil, or any other common blood thinning agents at least one week before injection will help to prevent the bruising. If you do develop bruising, you can pick up over the counter arnica to help speed the recovery. Also, plan your treatment accordingly, at least 2 weeks in advance of any social events in case you do develop bruising.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Bruising with Radiesse

Radiesse is administered by a needle which can puncture tiny vessels in the area.  This sometimes (commonly) leads to swelling and bruising.  It should last a couple of days. Prior to Radiesse injections it would be a good idea to avoid vitamin E, fish oil, Omega 3 oil, aspirin, and other substances that affect platelets and may cause increased bleeding.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Bruising with Radiesse can be reduced by using a microcannula

Probably the most important  thing when receiving any type of fillers is to plan for possible bruising and allow time in your schedule for the worst case scenario.  The bruising happens not because an injector was rough or careless, but because there was some bleeding under the skin.  Since a needle is used, this can be very random and in my practice I would see significant bruising about 30% of the time.

Currently I am using a microcannula to place fillers like Radiesse and my significant bruising rates have decreased to about 5%.

Please see the link to the video to learn more about the microcannula technique.  It's a very exciting development for fillers. It decreases bruising and also reduces the risk of intrarterial injection.

Good luck!

Expect the possibility of bruising with Radiesse?

Radiesse works beautifully on the chin and jaw area.  The results can last for more than a year, and the risks are minimal.  One thing that I do tell my patients is that bruising at the injection sites is not uncommon (so is swelling, but this should last only a few days).  All fillers are injected with hypodermic needles, which can cause bruising from puncturing microscopic capillaries in the dermis.  In my experience, Radiesse does cause a bit more bruising than other fillers, and these can be expected to last anywhere from 2 to even 3 weeks.  Ice on the injection site can provide minor help after the procedure.  Before a Radiesse treatment, some doctors recommend a patient stop any NSAIDS, aspirin, blood thinners, and even Vitamin E, to help prevent some bruising.  Talk to your surgeon before your Radiesse procedure, about what you can do to minimize bruising after your treatment. 

Bruising with Radiesse

Bruising may occur with any filler injection and tends to be more frequent with a thicker filler that is injected deep like Radiesse. It is not usually the fault of the surgeon. To alleviate bruising a patient should refrain from aspirin containing medications, NSAIDs, Vitamin E, Omega 3 products, and blood thinners for at least a week prior to injection and to use arnica before and after the injection. Also icepacks are helpful prior to and after the injections.