Brown fat removal and leptin imbalance after lipo/fat grafting?

I'm considering having lipo done in my abdominal area(5' 4'',125 lb). I am concerned about the claims that it causes weight gain and hormone imbalance. Some resources claim that brown fat is found only in the neck and shoulder area but others say that some is also found in the abdomen. Can lipo remove brown fat cells?Also, I've heard that lipo increases appetite(loss of leptin)- if I get a fat transfer (grafting)instead of removing the fat completely will this still occur? Thank you.

Appetite Changes After Liposuction?

Hi there, and thanks for your question. There is no credible research that shows a connection between liposuction and appetite, so there's no medical reason to add a fat transfer to a liposuction procedure. The overwhelming majority of my liposuction patients maintain their new bodies successfully after liposuction simply by eating right and exercising.

While brown fat, which helps regulate the body's temperature, is primarily located in the neck and shoulders in adults, it can also be present in the chest and abdomen. Liposuction simply removes excess fat. It will not alter the type of fat present in your body. Good luck with your decision.

Fat removal by liposculpture or coolsculpting does not cause weight gain or hormone problems

Removal of fat by liposculpture (suction), surgical excision, Cool sculpting, or ultra sound does not cause weight gain. If one does gain weight after fat removal, the fat will be more evenly distributed due to the removal of those cells which would have been able to store fat in those unwanted areas.
There is no credible evidence that fat removal causes any kind of hormonal imbalance or change in appetite. These are speculations only.
Finally, why would you want to add fat (grafting) while at the same time remove it? - Maybe to fill in a dent or depression but fat grafting is notoriously unreliable and often needs to be repeated as the grafted fat dies.

Dr Dennis Bucko

C. Dennis Bucko, MD

Fat suction and grafting

It amazes me to hear the things you mention. I have been performing liposuction and fat injections since 1987 and never came across a patient who had an appetite shift or a patient who didn't have brown fat everywhere. See a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of lipo suction and Brazilian butt lifts and who has previlages to perform these surgeries at a hospital near you, let others do your credentialing and let the surgeon not the internet answer your questions. 

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

I think that liposuction along with fat transfer tends to produce a very stable result that is easier to maintain in most cases than liposuction alone.  In either case, if weight is held stable, the results will be stable.