Which non-surgical procedure is best for pot belly? (Photo)

I'm a 40 years old with potbelly , 5 feet-4 inches tall and weight of 146 lb. I have skinny arms and legs . my question is what is the best non-surgical Procedure is best for potbelly ? also is the expectations and how much it will cost me in new York?

Pot belly and non surgical options

Thank you for your question and for posting a photo.

It is obvious from your photo that you have a large amount of internal (visceral) fat.  This fat is not treated with surgery (even a tummy tuck would not be beneficial).  Diet and exercise is the only suggestion.  I am not a fan of the HCG and 500 calorie options either.  I would try to seek out a dietician to assess your calorie intake as well as joining a gym or consulting a personal trainer.  Weight watchers of other groups aid in keeping you on track and support.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Non-surgical treatment for a potbelly

Thank you for asking about your pot belly treatment.
  • With all due respect to another answer, the peer reviewed medical literature is consistent in assessing the HCG diet as risky, ineffective and a fraud -
  • The weight loss is the result of a 500 calorie diet, not HCG.
  • HCG itself is risky.
  • And a 500 calorie diet is dangerous.
  • The cause of your pot belly is either excess fat or else it is an underlying medical condition.
  • I suggest you see your regular doctor - and if no underlying medical condition is found, ask for referral to a reputable weight loss center or nutritionist.
  • That said, weight loss requires the person to eat less and exercise more - it is free but if you are looking for someone else to do it for you, it doesn 't work.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Which non-surgical procedure is best for pot belly?

Thank you for your question and posting a picture. If you wish to lose the belly non-surgically, then I would recommend the HCG weight loss program.This program combines HCG or HUMAN CHORIONIC GONADOTROPIN (a hormone which the body produces naturally) with a 500 calorie diet free of sugar, fat and starch. This program results in rapid weight loss. You would need a consultation for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

No non-surgical options for belly fat

If this is subcutaneous far, then liposuction could be considered but, given the size of your abdomen, you would likely need skin resection as well. If this is intraperitoneal fat, then surgery would not be a viable option.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation a the photo is not terribly helpful.

Pot belly

It is very hard to see from the one photo, whether or not you have significnat subcutaneous fat that would benefit from liposuction.  

Non-surgical treatment for a pot belly

As my colleagues have said, this is fat contained within the abdomen.  There are no surgical answers for this.

The best non-surgical treatment is to push --- push away the beers, push yourself away from the refrigerator, and push those weights!

Good luck!

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City

Intraperitoneal fat requires weight loss for reduction.

From the photograph it looks as though much of the prominence of the abdomen is due to intraperitoneal fat. Liposuction cannot approach this area. The only way to lose this is my weight loss.

Pot belly

Honeslty your time and moey is best spent on diet and exercise. I see patients who have success many ways with many programs. Find somethig that works for you - gym, trainer, spin classes, prepared meals, reputable diet programs/franchises, meal subscription programs; I have seen all of these work. Find something that clicks with and motivates you.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

Non-surgical fat reduction

There are now numerous non-surgical fat reduction options available.  These treatments are optimal in patients with smaller areas or a smaller amount of fat.  In patients with larger amounts of fat, liposuction may be more preferable.  However, in patients with so called "pot or beer bellies", in which there is a large degree of visceral fat (fat underneath the muscle), none of these options are likely to make a difference.  The easiest test to see if anything can be removed is if you can pinch it.  Generally, if its not pinchable, only diet and exercise will help.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

There are a variety of ways to reduce abdominal fat non-surgically but they don't treat visceral fat.

There are a variety of ways to reduce abdominal fat non-surgically, including CoolSculpting, Vanquish, or UltraShape, but it is important that you are a good candidate for these procedures in order to achieve a good result. These procedures are not weight loss tools, and they will only work to reduce subcutaneous fat under the skin. They cannot treat visceral fat, which lies beneath the muscle and may be responsible for the appearance of a pot belly. If you can pick up the fat and pull it away from the body, this is the type that responds well to liposculpture or one of the non-invasive options. If you have a lot of fat, tumescent liposculpture is often the most efficient and cost effective way to remove fat. If the bulges are small, a non-invasive option works very well. I would advise you to see a board-certified dermatologist for an in-person evaluation to see if you are a good candidate for non-invasive fat reduction.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon