What are these fat pockets around my mouth and can they be removed? (photos)

I always notice these fat pockets around my mouth that in some lights make me look like a have a mustache and I think it's unattractive. Is there a relatively simple procedure to change this? Thank you!

Removing facial fat pockets

Thank you for asking about your facial fat pockets.
  • In your photos, to my eye, the 'fat pockets' appear to be normal tissue around an unusually deep nasolabial fold. 
  • If so, release of the fold and filler might improve the look. This can be done in the office.
  • A consultation with a plastic surgeon would be the best next step.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Fat pockets around the mouth

Thank you for the question.    I encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation and discuss  your options.  I would recommend starting with the most conservative approach.    best of luck   

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

What are these fat pockets around my mouth and can they be removed

Thank you for submitting your question and photos. I would not recommend liposuction to the face. The risks outweigh the benefit. A consultation with a Board certified Plastic Surgeon will give you the best plan. Best wishes

A modest amount of fat grafting to the submalar area just lateral to the nasolabial line will improve this.  It is relatively straightforward procedure that can be performed under local in the office. 

What are these fat pockets around my mouth and can they be removed?

Always best to have in person examinations vs over the internet guesses. But my guess is the cause is genetic aging and weight loss. Recommendations: off label low dose KyBells injections and/or Silhouette mid face Lift with Dr B's 1 stitch facelift options and/or ThermiTight RF to Smooth RF therapy. . 

Volume enhancement rather than volume reduction for perioral depressions.

The dark ring is created by a depression at the junction of the mouth and the cheek. A small amount of filler should be able to solve this problem.