Are my burns from laser hair removal permanent? (Photo)

I had a laser session yesterday for my arms and was badly burned. This is my second session- I did not burn after my first session, probably because my skin was lighter. What should I expect? Will it heal normally? I am using silver sulfadiazine cream (1%) several times a day, and avoiding sun exposure at all costs!! But I'm worried that it will leave permanent scarring...what do you think?

Burns from laser hair removal

Dear klegard:

With very careful wound care under the supervision of a dermatologist and creams to resolve the discoloration after healing, this should not scar.  I advise anyone considering laser hair removal to have treatment under the supervision of a dermatologist. You will avoid side effects, have fewer treatments, and save money in the long run.  

Please see the link below for more  of an explanation. 

Dr. Clark

Laser hair removal burn

It baffles my mind how someone could treat the whole are and not notice after a few pulses that something was wrong. Tan/sunburn skin is at risk for this reaction. Also, self tanners can do this. If the skin was not tan, either the settings were wrong or the wrong laser was used. Seek professional treatment for this. I think Biafine is a better choice. Long term results are not known and could result with pigmentation changes.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Laser burns

They are not permanent if you keep them clean and keep using Silvadene and later protect them from sun religiously. 
Even the lightening that might happen will eventually go away. 
Regards
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair and Burn

I would continue to use the burn cream and consult a dermatologist about local wound care.  Please consult an expert for laser hair removal. Best, Dr. Green