Can I use a scar cream for my tummy tuck called Biocorneum? Also mepitac silicone tape

would like to know if i can use these items after a tummy tuck

Scar treatment

Most patients have questions about their scars after surgery.  Once healed, I instruct my patients to massage their scars regularly, acoid sun exposure, and use a silicone-based scar treatment. They come in creams, gels, and tape from many different manufacturers, including biocorneum. They can be used twice a day for several months and are the only topical scar treatment with scientific literature supporting their use. Go for it! 

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

Thank you for your question. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

TT Scarring

After tummy tuck surgery, using a scar therapy is essential and should be started early in the healing process. In fact, 85% of scar formation and strength occurs in the 1st 10 weeks after surgery. You might want to try Embrace Active Scar Defense before beginning a silicone scar gel or tape. Embrace has shown to help diminish scar appearance in many patients, and there has been over 4 years of clinical research with this product. The mechanism of Embrace is relieving scar tension, which is the 2nd most important factor in scar development. By relieving tension, Embrace alters the formation of the scar. Silicone scar gels and tape are also helpful in reducing the appearance of scars. Many plastic surgeons recommend using bioCorneum after using Embrace so that patients can continue a scar therapy beyond the recommended 8 weeks of treatment with Embrace. Consistent application of a silicone scar gel for up to one year after surgery allows for the best results. Consult your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding his or her scar therapy protocol.

TT Scarring

Plato's Scar Serum for surgical scars

As a plastic surgeon, I continue to see amazing results with Plato's Scar Serum and Plato's Dark Scar Corrector for my surgical patients. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Plato's Scar Serum for surgical scars

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Silicone based products are best for scar minimization

Hello!   I have patients start using biocorneum once the skin has completely closed, or ~2 weeks post-operatively.  Application is twice daily, and you should plan to use for a minimum of 3 months in order to get the maximal benefit.  Don't forget that sunblock is also important to keep scars from becoming red  in the long-term (and biocorneum contains some, another benefit of this product).  Silicone sheeting is also effective.  Most patients find the cream easier to manage on a day to day basis.  

Good luck!

Meredith Vandegrift, MD
Huntington Physician

Good luck!

Meredith Vandegrift, MD
Huntington Physician

Scar cream after tummy tuck surgery

Your surgeon is in the best position to advise you on your individual case.  I advise patients in my case to use silicone gel sheeting once their wound has closed and healed.  

Scar cream after tummy tuck surgery

Silicone Scar Therapy

Silicone scar gels and tapes(sheets) are both proven to be effective in treating
scars and in helping with optimal healing.  Massage and sun avoidance are also beneficial.
It's best to consult with your surgeon as to their preference and timing of treatments.

Regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi
Village Plastic Surgery

Silicone Scar Therapy

Regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi
Village Plastic Surgery

Scar treatment after tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Both of these treatments work well.  I prefer silicone gel sheeting--this can help result in a nearly nonvisible scar in some patients.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Scar treatment after tummy tuck

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Biocorneum for tummy tuck scars

I recommend always checking with your operating surgeon before using any products on your scars. Every surgeon has their likes and dislikes of scar care products.
Personally, I like my patient's to use Biocorneum for their after surgical scar care.
I have them wait until their scabs are gone and then they massage their scars twice a day for one minute with the Biocorneum. 
I feel the silicone tape is difficult to use for compliance and that is why I use Biocorneum instead of silicone tape.  

Hope that helps,
RSH

Biocorneum for tummy tuck scars

Hope that helps,
RSH

Scar management after Abdominoplasty

As long as the product has silicone in it, it should help to improve your scar. Biocorneum is an excellent product that many of my patients use. Since it has sunscreen in it as well, it protects the incision line as it is healing. Make sure you discuss the use of either one of these with your plastic surgeon before you start using them so that it does not interfere with his or her normal protocol. Best wishes for your surgery!

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon

Scar management after Abdominoplasty

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon