Bromeline and Arnica Montana

bromeline and Arnica Montana what is the recomended dosage prior to BA and Tummy Tuck surgery? ( will talk to my PS of course!) I just see many people talk about it and how it helped. PS included. So how many MG how many times a day for how many days??

Bromelin and Arnica Montana for Cosmetic Surgery

My first exposure to Arnica Montana gel was through a patient who used it on her own after liposuction. She applied it to herself and the difference between where she could and couldn't reach was pretty remarkable so I became a big fan. Both substances are in the homeopathic category of treatment so it's hard to find scientific guidelines on usage. We have patients take Bromelin and Arnica by mouth from 5 days before surgery and continue it 5 days after surgery. The Arnica gel is used post-op until the bruising has gone away. You will still get some bruising depending on the procedure, technique etc. but I have found that it is much less extensive and it goes away significantly quicker.

Arnica and bromelain

I routinely give arnica and bromeliad to preoperative patients to help with bruising and swelling. I feel patients do better and bounce back quicker. We start treatment with bromeliad 5 days prior to procedure and then postoperatively. The bromeliad is taken under the tongue 5 times a day after surgery.

Bromeline and Arnica Montana

Its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment. 

Arnica?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The recommendations for the use of these homeopathic medications are surgeon preference. I typically suggest use Arnica to decrease swelling and bruising. It is an herbal medication that is propagated from the seeds of an herb. I, as well as my patients, have seen some benefit with the treatment in the postoperative period. Although there is little vidence to its effectiveness, I believe there robe some benefit, but no harm. I recommend 4-5 tablets under the tongue 4x/day for 3-5 days prior and 5-7 days after the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Bromelain ointment after surgery

Our office prescribes Arnica montana and Bromelain in an ointment known as Bruisestick. The product is used at least twice daily.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Arnica and Bromelin for surgery

I hate to rain on everyones parade, but there is absolutely no evidence that either of these drugs make any difference in regards to bruising, swelling or recovery. Even worse is the marketing of these products in homeopathic formulations , which by definition means that there is no biologically significant quantity of the the product in the medicine. These products work by virtue of the "placebo effect", which can be quite powerful and makes use of the patients own positive thoughts about the product. The best way to limit bruising and swelling in liposuction and tummy tuck surgery is to use a topical foam dressing under a compression garment. I am sorry to be so blunt, but it is a doctor's duty to also be a scientist-and the science just isn't there for Arnica and Bromelin.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD