I have a small chip off my front tooth. Would it be better to file it down or bond it? (Photo)

Doctor Answers 2

Chip Off

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Have your dentist smooth it from the front, NOT from the biting edge - that would make it shorter.
In our office, we bond some tooth colored filling material into the chip and then smooth it off and polish it up.
Done that way, without any real drilling on the tooth, we have seen those fillings last for years.
Good Luck to you! 

La Jolla Dentist

Small chip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It looks as if your dentist should be able to reshape your front tooth without making it shorter than the adjacent tooth.

Vicki Borowski, DDS
Dallas Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.