How long should I wait after Liposuction surgery to get a tattoo?

I got liposuction on my thighs and under butt and I'm looking at getting a tattoo and I wanted to know what is a good amount of time to wait before getting a tattoo. The tattoo will be on my ribs which isn't near the surgery site but I wanted to make sure

Tattoo after surgery

Thanks for the question. If you were to get a tattoo on the surgical site, i would recommend waiting six months, but since you want the tattoo in a place away from the surgical site, you may get the tattoo at your leisure.

Dr, Results

Liposuction and tattoo

I would wait at least six weeks to three months after surgery before considering a tattoo or procedures like laser hair removal.

No concerns with getting a tattoo after liposuction except.....

Thank you for your question. It is not a problem to get a tattoo after liposuction if it is in an area that was not treated.  That being said, I do a lot of tattoo removal and, therefore, see a lot of patients who regret getting them.  Think long and hard about getting a tattoo because they are painful and very expensive to have removed. So, in all honesty, I would recommend that you wait 100 years after liposuction to get a tattoo!

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo after liposuction

Thank you for your question about your liposuction

• Since the tattoo is in a completely different area, you should be able to have your tattoo once you are comfortable after your liposuction - comfortable enough to lie flat for the rib tattoo.
  • But if surgery was in the past 6 weeks, please check with your surgeon to be sure.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information is helpful. Best wishes.

Tattoo after Liposuction

There is no medical reason you need to wait.  They could be done at the same time if you wanted but often I tell patients to wait till the swelling subsides from the liposuction 6-12 weeks.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tattooing after surgery

Since the two areas are not adjacent, I see no need to wait any significant amount of time.

It's always good to check with the tattoo artist to make sure everyone's on board.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD