Kybella for armpit fat?

I regret not insisting on fixing my under arm/bra bulges/fat during a procedure last year. I despise how It looks with a bra on. It's actually uncomfortable they crease so much. I won't wear tank tops. I'm thin and decently fit. I've always had them. They seem worse since I had a child few years ago. What can I do about it that's not surgical? Is Kybella likely to be approved for this use? I just want to wear a bra and tank confidently.

Kybella for armpit fat?

Since Kybelle is only approved for use under the chin, anything else is considered "off label" so there just isn't a lot of research yet as to the safety & efficacy of using Kybella to treat bra line fat pockets. Something like CoolSculpt might be a better option. Or, book a consultation with a qualified Kybella injector to discuss.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for arm pit fat not Kybella

Coolsculpting is a fabulous non-surgical way to decrease the fat under the arms.  Kybella is not FDA approved to decrease fat in any other area other than under the neck.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella

As the principal investigator for the FDA trials on Kybella, and with over 400 treatments performed, we found that Kybella injections result in significant improvement in the appearance of convexity or fullness associated with submental fat. The procedure is very well tolerated by patients, fast, and can be performed in clinic. Kybella acts by destroying fat cells in the area injected. The lysed fat cell contents create an inflammatory reaction, resulting in skin contraction and tightening (in addition to reduction of fat). Although Kybella is currently FDA-approved to treat the fat underneath the chin area, other off-label applications for Kybella at The Maas Clinic include treatment of cellulite or small, isolated fatty deformities of the trunk or extremities, such as the“bra fat” area. I have had great success using Kybella to help smooth out these small contour irregularities. Prior to any intervention, however, a proper physical exam is necessary. I recommend visiting a board-certified facial plastic surgeon who is experienced with Kybella injections.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella for armpit fat?

Without examining you or seeing photos its difficult to give specific advice but Kybella is not likely to be approved for that purpose any time soon as the FDA process takes quite a bit of time. The only way to know what might help is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Kybella -- FDA approved for Submental Fat, Non Surgical Option But Still New

I find that VASER hi def liposuction does best in this area.  Kybella can work for small areas but takes many treatments and is expensive for the minimal change here.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella can help

Kybella can be used for this area.
Kybella will soften and diminish fat in the armpit and can be repeated to your satisfaction.
You will need an exam to see if this is the best, or alternative techniques.

Kybella for armpit fat?

Kybella is not FDA approved for areas other than beneath the chin, though it could be used off-label for other areas. 
The armpit fat is often breast tissue and not just regular fatty tissue. It may respond to non-surgical radio frequency treatments or cryo type treatments, but liposuction is usually the best option.

Kybella (Belkyra) outside of the neck

Good morning - thanks for a great question, something we're hearing about more and more these days.

The simple answer at present is "No", Kybella (Belkyra, Deoxycholic Acid) is currently not indicated for use outside of the sub mental area (treatment of the double chin).

The more complicated answer is"Maybe, but not likely". Doctors are allowed to discuss and offer Off Label uses of many different treatments. Depending on the product and the area/symptom to be treated this often can be safe, effective and recognized  as such by other practicitioners.

The main issue at the moment is tha tthere is no data to predict results of  treatment of fat deposits outside of the neck with Kybella. Also areas outside the neck will tend to be larger requiring higher doses and more visits. This can be somewhat expensive.

Thankfully there are excellent surgical and non surgical options available for fullness/fat deposits in the area of the arm pit, bra roll and lateral chest.

CoolSculpting with the CoolMini applicator is approved for this area and offers a safe, effective treatment with no down time. Skin tightening technologies (Thermage etc) can be considered in people with loose skin or mild stretch marks.

Finally, though you are not keen to undergo another surgical treatment you might look into liposuction as an option. Depending on the specifics of your exam, you may be able to undergo this as an in office procedure with local anaesthesia only.

Chat with your surgeon perhaps he or she offers these treatments. If not I'm sure there are board certified plastic surgeons in your area who can counsel you further.

All the best with your search! Good Luck.

Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Kybella for bra fat

Kybella is FDA cleared for submental fat but there is no doubt that docs are going off-label in use of Kybella already.  The biggest drawback to Kybella is the expense for larger areas of fat.  I would suggest exploring the options using the new CoolSculpt Mini or any applicator with a good fit.  Excilis and Thermi250 can also be used to tackle problem areas at a much lower cost than Kybella.  Good luck!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon