Round Moderate Vs High Profile Implants

I am an extremely small chested athletic type person getting a breast augmentation. I was told by my plastic surgeon that high profile would be the best. I'm not sure I like the looks of them on patients the same size as me. What is the difference between round moderate plus and high profile implants?

How to pick breast implant sizes or shapes.

1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

The high profiles are less natural looking

The three implant profiles are designed to create different "looks" depending on what the patient desires.

"Moderate" profiles look the most natural (what nature can make) with no excess upper pole fullness.

"Moderate plus" profiles look slightly fuller than natural, what one of my patients termed "perma-cleavage."

"High profile" implants are designed to provide dramatic excess upper pole fullness.

If your chest wall is very narrow, and if you have very little breast tissue, the high profiles might be okay for you. Otherwise they might seem too big and buldgy. Make sure you see pictures of many patients with high profiles to be certain it is a look you want.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Ground moderate vs. high profile.

When I start the implant sizing process with my patients we think about the width of the breast first.  If an implant is too narrow on the chest it will look like a torpedo.  If an implant is too wide you will make a patient look top heavy.  For my patients I strive to achieve a sense of balance.  The degree of curve under the arm is used to find a sense of balance with the curve of the hip.

Once we find the right diameter, the diameter that fills the chest wall nicely, the diameter that balances with balances with a curve of the hip then we turned towards the projection.

I can give a patient Low, moderate or high profile implant all with the same diameter.  In general, most of my patients are looking for more than a low profile.  I personally don't care for the shape of the low profile implants.

In general I find a moderate or moderate plus implant tends to give a nice contour.  If a patient really wants a larger cup size that's when I turn to a high profile .

My suggestion to you would be to think hips and curve first.  Then decide how much projection you want.  A small chested and athletic person will look more natural in a moderate profile implant than in a high profile implant.  A silicone implant will tend to look more natural than a saline.

I have included a link below that I share shared with my patients on my website.  I hope that it is helpful to you.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Moderate Profile + Breast Implants More Natural Than High Profile

Thank you for your question. The plastic surgeon that you choose we will be able to help you make the decision whether to have moderate profile plus or high profile breast implants.

Many important factors are taken into consideration most importantly the width of your chest and the current shape of your breast.

Generally speaking a moderate profile plus breast implants is designed to give a more natural looking breast. The moderate profile plus breast implant is flatter and wider than the high-profile breast implant. In most patients this produces more cleavage and more fullness on the side of the breast which most patients find appealing.

The high-profile breast implant is narrower and higher or projects outward more from the chest wall. The high-profile breast implant will give more fullness of the breast above the nipple areola in most cases.

Since you have a small chest you may be a candidate for a high profile implant if you do not need fullness on the side of the breast and increased cleavage.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experiencing breast cosmetic surgery and has a good reputation in your local area.

Breast Implant Profiles?

The difference between these implants have to do with the dimensions ( diameter and height)  of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter  compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate  profile and high profile implants.
I prefer to have a wide selection of implants ( all profiles)  available in the operating room. I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”. 

High profile are rounder

The higher the profile, the more round the implants for the same width. If you have very little soft tissue, then high profile implants will give you breasts that look more like the implants. I generally start with the flatter, least projecting implants when analyzing a patient and see if the dimension of implant that fits the natural breast will give the look you desire. If not, then I start to vary the projection and width. It is rare that I end up using the high profile implant if a patient does not want to look "done" or "unnatural." When in doubt, go smaller rather than larger.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Impant shapes

Volume for volume, the high profile implants have a smaller diameter or base width and  more projection than a moderate plus implant.  If you are narrow and want alot of projection you go with the HP's.  If you want more side breast or curve, you go with the moderate plus.

Implant profile

The profile of an implant refers to how wide or narrow the implant is relative to the fill size.  As women have different builds, some with narrower chests and others wider, the profile of the implant helps a surgeon match the correct implant dimensions with a patient.  Moderate plus is wider than a high profile implant.

I select the profile based on the width of the preoperative breast, which is how most surgeons determine the correct implant profile.  By selecting the correct implant profile in this manner, you don't end up with a breast that looks too wide or projects out too much.  Higher profile implants can look completely natural when placed properly. 

Aloha,

Shim Ching, MD

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Choose size, then profile

The most important thing for you is to pick a size that is consistent with your lifestyle and level of activity. The way I ususally do this is to have the patient try differnt implants on in a bra of the desired cup size. When you are doing this the implant just conforms to the bra so it isn't what we go on the choose profile. The next most important thing in my opinion is the implant diameter, which has to conform to the natural base diamter of your breasts. Once you know the size the profile is selected by whichever type fits the base diameter in the size you want. this will most likely be high profile if you want a larger size and have a small diameter, while a small size will be one of the types with a wider base diamter.

Richard Baxter, MD

How To Choose Between Moderate Vs High Profile Implants, Confidently

Here's my promise to you . . .

There's a simple process to help you select the right shaped and sized implant. Whether you go with round or high profile or teardrop, you will be thrilled with your results because we followed this process.

(FYI: “Teardrop,” “anatomic,” and “gummy bear implants” are all synonymous, they mean the same thing.)

This is how it works.

STEP 1: See your options

During a consultation, I take out five breast implants and put them on a table. Before your eyes are low profile, moderate profile, high profile, extra high profile, anatomic, and saline implants.

Take a moment to examine each shape and size. You will notice that the difference between moderate and high profile is actually quite subtle. Soon you will be able to SEE how subtle this difference is...

STEP 2: Tell me your beauty goals

What is your goal? What look would you like to achieve?

Do you want to go "conservative" with a "natural and proportionate" look? Or would you like to go "as full as possible while staying natural"?

Your answer to this will determine the implant shape that appeals to you.

The user who asked this question stated, "I was told by my plastic surgeon that high profile would be the best." This must have been in response to what you told him your beauty goals were. It sounds to me like you stressed that you wanted to go big (while still looking natural, of course.)

STEP 3: See how this implant looks on your body

Have you ever had a $41,000 picture taken of you?

When I opened my private practice, the first thing I did was invest in a $41,000 device called the Vectra 3D. It is a must-have tool for getting patients ideal results.

The Vectra takes a 3D photograph of your torso and breasts. Then, the 3D photo appears on a computer screen. On the screen, we can create accurate simulations of what your breasts will look like with different implant shapes and sizes. This will give you a realistic image of what you’ll look like after breast augmentation surgery.

You can experiment with the different implant options until you find the one you are happy with. Being able to see the results with your own eyes, beforehand, is the best way to communicate your desired look with your doctor. It takes out so much guesswork, especially about breast implant shapes and volume (cc).

Now here’s a fact about describing your goals: words can only take us so far. Very often, what a patient thinks, says, and truly wants are all different. You need to SEE what your implant will look like, on your unique body, to confidently say, “This is the perfect implant for me!”

That’s the beauty of the Vectra. It is a visual tool that creates accurate expectations and ensures the best communication. It will cast away your doubts and fears about choosing the right implant.

That’s why the Vectra is a critical investment for any practice. It is so important for giving patients results they are happy with and why, post-op, I often hear patients say, “They’re perfect. This is exactly what I wanted.”

STEP 4: Select your implant shape and size

On the Vectra, when we pull up simulations of your breasts with different implants, you will either like the result, or want to see a different one.

Eventually, we will come upon your ideal result. Then you just point at the computer screen and say, "That’s the one I like!" and that's it.

There is an exception to this process. In the rare case that a patient has a long chest wall or "constrictive breast deformity", I would suggest considering an anatomic implant from the start. That shape will look better on this type of patient.

3 DIFFERENT EXAMPLES OF THIS PROCESS

Let me cover a few examples of what going through this process can look like.

Example One: The Patient Whose Taste Is Truly Conservative

This patient tells me that she wants the implant to look natural and proportionate. She does not want to have a dramatic increase in cup size.

Given this desired result, she will like either the round moderate profile or anatomic implant. We will then model both implants on the Vectra 3D imaging software and see which one she chooses.

In this case, it turns out she really likes the anatomic look. I explain that there's about a 1% chance of a complication in which the implant can rotate and require revision.

If she is ok with this, she'll go with the teardrop implant. If not, the moderate profile will meet her beauty goals.

Example Two: The Patient Who Is Afraid Of Looking “Fake”, But Ends up Wanting More Volume

This patient says something very similar to the first example. She wants to look natural and proportionate. She does not want a "top heavy", "fake" or "playboy look".

She does, however, want an increase of "about 1 or 2 cup sizes".

We model the moderate profile or the teardrop. But, it turns out, she wants more volume. At this point, I have explained to her that as long as we stay within her measurements she will have a beautiful, natural look. (A patient’s measurements are explained in more detail in an article about breast implant sizes.)

Because of its shape, there is a limit to how much volume can be added to the teardrop, so, she definitely will be going with a round implant.

She ends up going with a high profile implant, close to maxing out on size. She sees on the Vectra that it looks natural, but that it also has the size and fullness that really appeals to her. She's going to love them!

Example Three: The Patient Who Wants To Max Out From the Start

This patient tells me she wants to go as big as possible (usually while still looking natural).

We choose a round implant with the maximum profile/volume that will fit her measurements.

She sees the results on the Vectra 3D. She is either happy, or wants to go even bigger.

If she's happy, great! We have found the perfect implant for her.

If she wants to go even bigger, I have to explain that we've already seen the max implant volume that will fit her, based on her measurements. Anything more would look unnatural, and, much more importantly, would not be safe.

If she is ok with that fact, we can proceed. If not, I explain to her that ethically, I cannot give her the size that she wants, so if she insists on it, she will have to see another surgeon who is willing to do that.

SUMMARY

There you have it. Following my simple process, you will choose the perfect implant that meets your goals.

Will you want your breast augmentation to look as natural and proportionate as possible? Or will it turn out that you are looking for a fuller look?

After we decide on this together, we will see what this implant looks like on your body with a Vectra 3D simulation. You will be either happy or want to see a what a different option would look like. At the end of this process, we will have found the perfect implant for you!

Therefore, both round and teardrop shaped implants are acceptable choices. What it will come down to is what you think LOOKS best on your body. And thanks to the Vectra, you will be able to see it for yourself and make a choice you feel 100% confident about.

The lesson here is to rely on what you SEE (in the simulation), not on what you "think" will look best, or rules of thumb. Cut out the guesswork. Verbal communication cannot be exact when it comes to your personal preference about a specific beauty look. Thanks to modern tools, and an understanding of how to give patients the results they truly want, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to choose the perfect implant for your body.

Don't settle for anything less than ideal.

It's for this reason that patients tell me that their results are "flawless" and "exactly what I wanted." They are completely satisfied with their results because they had a very good idea of what they were going to look like beforehand.

Keep doing the research that you are doing. Getting your doubts addressed and your questions answered will help you come to a decision. The best patients are informed patients.

You should now have a decent understanding of how your preferences will lean you more towards round or anatomic implants. You may also want to read about how your body’s measurements affect implant size.

And be sure to go to many consultations. Doing so will actually save you time overall. A consultation is where you will get the best quality information directly from a plastic surgeon.

Good luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician