Breast Augmentation During Menstrual Period

Hi doctors, Could you let me know from a surgeon's perspective, are there any cons from operating on a patient (breast reconstruction / augmentation) right around when the patient's period /menstrual cycle is due?

Would it affect the aesthetic results when tissues are a bit different and possibly tender around that period of time?

Effect of menstrual cycle on surgery

This is an outstanding question and one that I have thought about frequently but for which I can find no definitive answer.

Common sense would tell you that there is an increased risk of complications if you are operating on a swollen tender gland. But to tell you the truth I could find no research supporting this. To some degree, it is largely conjecture. If there is a surgeon who is aware of this, please communicate this to me. If patients ask me, I tell them that it makes sense to defer elective surgery at a point in their menstrual cycle when their breasts are not swollen. However, there are so many other factors that play a role in scheduling surgery, that this may not be the deciding factor.

I, myself, attempted a brief online review of the medical literature and could not find a study which sought to answer this specific question. I found a study looking at 32 other studies to examine if the timing of surgery relative to the menstrual cylce had any effect on breast cancer. The results were inconclusive.

Breast Surgery is one of the most common procedures I do, especially Breast Augmentation. Over more than a 25 yrs I have often operated on women during their menstrual period and  I have not found it to be a problem . Although many women do have some breast swelling associated with their periods it is not enough to pick the wrong implant size.

It is not an uncommon to do breast surgery including augmentation during a menstrual cycle.  My experience even in women as "regular as a clock" with surgery scheduled between periods often start the day before, day of or within a few days after surgery or contrarily can be late. Menstrual cycles can become irregular at times of stress, from surgery and anesthesia. It should not be a problem. 

If possible, wait until your menstrual period is done

When all is said and done, it should not affect the aesthetic result. However, while a woman has her menstrual period during surgery, there is an increased chance of bleeding.

I generally advise my patients to wait until their menstrual period is done. Usually most women schedule their surgery based on other factors.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Y. Kleinman, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Recommend waiting until after your period

Although this is variable, the breast tissue become engorged and sometimes painful during menstruation. This could cause increased bleeding, swelling, and pain as well post-operatively. If your breasts change significantly, it could also effect the decisions about technique or size of implants if performing a reduction, lift, or augmentation. If your breasts do not change significantly, then it might be ok to do procedures then but certainly communicate with your surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Surgery during menstrual period or cycle, does it matter?

I often being asked to reschedule the op because of the starting cycle. In fact it doesn't affect the surgery and healing process, with the exception of large areas of invasion like liposuction. It is quite common to provide surgery during the patient's cycle, it's no contraindication in case you are not bleeding to much. If your menstruation is normal you can have surgery with it and you'll be fine.

I wish you best of luck.

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Menstruation has no effect on surgery.

It’s not unusual for cosmetic surgery patients to express concern about menstruation before undergoing surgery. This anxiety isn’t warranted. Menstruation has no effect on surgery and doesn’t increase bleeding or increase pain levels following surgery. In addition, wound healing isn’t affected by menstruation.
In some cases, patients may have taken nonsteroidal agents for treatment of menstrual cramps. Under these circumstances, it might be appropriate to re-schedule surgery to avoid bleeding complications that can be associated with these drugs.
If you have concerns about this issue, it’s important to consult your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to discuss your concerns and alleviate your anxiety.

BA while on period

You may experience a bit of a lengthier recovery because you'll have to deal with your period as well and you may have additional tenderness (if you typically experience that), but I don't think having surgery while menstruating is an issue. 

Best to have breast implants after your period.

Hi.

The worst time to have breast implants is before your period, when your breasts are swollen. There is more blood flow in your breasts then and the surgery can be a little bloodier and more difficult.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast surgery and menstrual cycle

I have performed surgery on patients during their menstrual cycle. Personally, I have not found it any different than at other times, although some say there may be a slight increased risk of bleeding.

Better to avoid that period but not necessary

If you were measured and the implant size picked while out of that period, the result will not be affected. You will have more swelling and tenderness, but only temporarily. My preference is to avoid that period for surgery.