What Options do I have for Covering Up Breast Lift Scars?

Hello, I am about to have a lollipop breast lift and I am concerned about the scars. Is there a type of waterproof makeup or a tattoo that can cover up the scars?

What options do I have for covering up breast lift scars?

Hello!  Thank you for the question!  It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year.  In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar.  The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage.  Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible.  Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids.  In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. 

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

#CoveringUpBreastLiftScars

Yes there are many types of makeup to camouflage your scar, and I would only recommend tattooing for the scar around the areola and not the vertical skin which changes slightly depending on the season. Most importantly, is making your scar fade on its own. Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips - see below link.

There are scar therapies that can be used throughout the healing process.  Tattoo or resurfacing may be reasonable after healing is complete.

Select a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Breast Lift Scars

It is normal to be concerned with a scar from breast lift surgery.  Most patients feel the scar is worth the sacrifice for a better shaped and higher/tighter breast.

Scars take time to mature and most will develop into a thin white line over 9-12 months.  Before deciding to do anything to the scar, give it time.

I have my patients use a silicone gel (ex: kelocote) after the incisions are completely healed.  

Lollipop lift scars

There a many options for scar minimization depending on the problem.  A white scar can be tattooed by an aesthetician that performs permanent make-up.  Pink scars can benefit from laser.  Scars will generally improve over 9 months to a year so allow plenty of time to pass before pursuing treatment.

Lollipop lift and scars

Commonly the scars from a lollipop lift will settle down over time and often can appear as a thin white line. They will never be invisible. Some patients have them tattooed if they are lighter than the surround skin to camouflage them.

Covering up breast lift scars

Mineral makeup is a good option to cover your breast lift scars while you're healing.

The use of scar guard topical silicone treatment can help you improve your scars.  In addition if your scars are red and raised 1540 non-ablative fractional erbium laser treatments can be very helpful.