Could Frequent Sitting Affect Brazilian Butt Lift Results?

My job consists of sitting down for 7 hrs, 5 days a week.  If I were to get a Brazilian Butt Lift would sitting on my rear end cause my butt to flatten or become oddly shaped?

Brazilian Butt Lifts and sitting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Pressure on the buttocks immediately after Brazilian Butt lifts can cause a decrease in the fat survival. The key is allowing enough time for the fat to revascularize, which will insure survival. Once the fat has revascularized, there is less concern about pressure on the buttocks (sitting a lot).

It is recommended that patients do not sit for more than 1 hour at a time for the first one month if they can avoid it.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Sitting on BBL fat

Once you are healed, your job will not be a problem.  Another question is whether sitting matters while you are healing.  We thought for some time that the fat would not take if you sat or layed on it.  But after 5 years of the South American experience (which I can agree to from my own patients), sitting or laying on the buttocks after a combined tummy-tuck and BBL does not seem to affect the result of the BBL.  So...you should not have to worry about sitting on it.

Sitting after Brazilian Buttlift

I recommend for the first six weeks after the Brazilian buttlift that patients sleep on their stomachs.  In addition, I tell them to minimize sitting.  If they have to sit, it is critical that every 30 minutes or an hour that patients get up and stand for a few seconds to take the pressure off.   This reduces the chance for fat necrosis.  After 6 weeks the fat has revascularized and you have a very good idea of your final results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Brazilian buttlift Los Angeles, CA

Do not sit at all for three weeks

This is my recommendation for anybody having a Brazilian Butt Lift. DO NOT SIT AT ALL for three weeks.

Trust me I have done hundreds, and revisions of other people's work. It is a serious commitment, but will pay off in the end.

When Can I Go Back To Sitting after a Brazilian Butt Lift?

The short answer is that we don't know the precise answer. The fear is that sitting for too-long of a period of time too-early after surgery could decrease the fat survival and affect the shape results.

I recommend limiting sitting on the buttocks in the first one to two weeks after surgery, and when sitting is required that you sit on a well-padded seat for short periods of less than 10 minutes. If further sitting is required, you can try to sit on a pillow that is under your thighs, although this tends to be uncomfortable for long periods. 

I believe that once you have reached 10 days to 2 weeks, that there is much less likelihood of causing a decrease in fat survival or your results from sitting, but I still recommend taking frequent breaks. 

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Brazilian butt lift and sitting

The Brazilian butt lift is a liposuction fat injection. When the fat is injected it has no blood supply. And it is very weak and the fat cells can be killed by pressure. Blood vessels they will begin to grow in to the fat cells in for 5 days. When the fat has normal blood supply the fat cells act like any other fat cells in the body and will survive sitting exercise and pressure.

The 1st 10. this time that i asked my patients not only setting or sleeping on the back. day 9 and 11 are no different that windows is an arbitrary time just greater than 5 days.  On  the 11th day the patients can start to sit for short periods of time.

In my patients after 2 or 3 weeks the size supposed to be maintained and I don't see loss of fat cells from exercises sitting. The same timeframe applies for fat displacement. Again once the fat is healed in will act like any other fat in the body.

As you might have already noticed from the previous answers, there is no solid scientific data on how long you can safely sit down on your butt after a BBL before you destroy the fat newly transferred and for how long you need to abstain from putting pressure onto that area. The baseline theory behind it is the more pressure you apply, the less is the blood flow to that area and as such the less the take if the newly injected fat. This is all logical but it lacks the clinical studies which are considered the gold standard in medicine. Saying this, all the time lines given by the doctors to their patients on this question in particular are arbitrary and at best can be considered an expert opinion which in science it means level 5 evidence. What I usually tell my patients to do is to spend most of their time standing or sleeping inorder to avoid putting pressure on that area. I usually tell them to do this for about 2 weeks as I belive that in 2 weeks most of the tissues should have vascular iced and if they did not then most probably they are dead and will get resorbed anyways. 

I hope I did not complicate things for you and I was able to answer your inquiry.

Shady Hayek, M.D.
Beirut, Lebanon

Shady Hayek, MD
Lebanon Plastic Surgeon

Fat injected reabsorbed by sitting on it

Hi, in our experience, we always suggests our patient to avoid sitting on their new butt for 3-4 weeks after surgery and always use a boppy pillow in case is necessary to sit on it. It also depends on the quality of the fat injected and the surgeons technique. Always find the best advice from Board Certified Plastic Surgeons.

Salvador Pantoja, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Could frequent sitting affect the results of a Brazilian Butt Lift?

Excessive pressure on the newly transferred fat in a Brazilian Butt Lift could cause damage and affect the final result.  Excess pressure can impair the blood supply to the healing fat and cause that fat to not survive the transfer.  For that reason it is very important to closely follow the postoperative instructions given to you by your surgeon.  The surgeon has their own postoperative protocol.  Most surgeons would agree however that immediately after a Brazilian Butt Lift patients are allowed to lay on their back until they are fully recovered. Normally they are then turned over on their stomach. During the trip home after the procedure or when in route to a postoperative visit patients are recommended to either lay on their stomach or on their side After the patient goes home they are instructed to keep pressure off of the buttock area for at least 8 weeks. No sitting is permitted for 10 days postoperatively. The exception to this is to utilize the toilet. After 10 days the patient is allowed to sit in a modified position that will keep excess pressure from the buttock area. His can be accomplished with the use of a pillow placed beneath the hamstring muscles not touching the buttock. Patient's are recommended to wear the prescribed compression garment for up to 4-6 weeks postoperatively. It is important to realize that the final result probably not be realized until up to 6 months.

Working & Sitting after a Brazilian Butt Lift BBL

Hello and Great Question.  I appreciate the time you are spending researching this procedure.  My name is Dr. Matthew J. Nykiel.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, a Fellowship Trained Cosmetic Surgeon, and a Butt Augmentation Specialist.

I perform a number of Fat Transfers (BBL) on College Students and Professionals.  These are individuals that also are required to sit for the majority of their day.  For the 1st week, I only want you to sit when going to the bathroom.  After the 1st week, you may sit on a pressure off loading pillow.  The college students and professionals do it all the time and they are very satisfied with their results. 

I utilize a 4 week sitting protocol.  Again, the 1st week I like you to be off your butt as much as possible in the early stages of healing.  The protocol is:
    • Week 1: Sitting for the bathroom
    •  Week 2: Sit as usual with the assistance of a pressure off-loading pillow. If you do not have a pillow then: 15-30 minutes at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
    •  Week 3: Sit as usual with the assistance of a pressure off-loading pillow.  If you do not have a pillow then:  30-60 minutes at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
    • Week 4: Sit as usual with the assistance of a pressure off-loading pillow.   If you do not have a pillow then:  1-2 hours at a time, then standing up to shift your weight.
    • Week 5:  No Sitting Restrictions.  Sit as usual.  Unless otherwise directed.

WORK:  Most of my patients are back to work in 1 week or less.

ACTIVITY:  After 1 week you can Run/Jog or go to the gym.  Prior to 1 week, I want you walking around as much as possible.

GYM:  After 1 week you can go to the gym.  You can do any upper body work out and/or Run/Jog.  No lower body squats or any activity that requires you to place pressure on your Butt/Gluts (i.e. Leg Press, Back Row etc) until after 4 weeks from surgery.  

Best of Luck!  Please reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Matthew J. Nykiel, MD
#TopREALSELFDoctor
#CoreREALSELFDoctor
Butt Augmentation Specialist
Liposuction Specialist