How Much Fat Needed to See Brazilian Butt Lift Results?

One doctor said I should put on 15 to 20 pounds of weight before the Brazilian butt lift surgery. The other doctor said he is willing to perform the surgery and he only needs to lipo my love handles (which are flabby that look like a muffin top) and the bottom part of my back over the butt. I asked him about the front of my belly where I do have some extra fat and he said, there was no need to do that because I have enough fat. I just need to know how much fat is needed to see the results of a Brazilian butt lift?

How much fat do I need to have for a Brazilian Butt Lift?

Hi there-

There is no firm answer to the question of whether or not your abdomen should be harvested, but in my practice, I generally follow the rule that the more fat I can get, the better.

I have come to believe this after a lot of experience doing Brazilian Butt Lifts, because (as is commonly understood) some of the fat grafted will be re-absorbed- therefore the more that is placed, the better. Also, the appearance of the buttocks is never judged (whether by you or admirers of your new bottom) in isolation, but rather within the context of the surrounding structures... improving the appearance of your abdomen would enhance the buttock outcome, and vice versa.

I almost never do this operation without harvesting the abdomen, waist, hips, and often the thighs as well, in order to maximally improve the overall shape of the buttocks, as well as the world they live in, if you will.

I hope that helps you- let me know if you have more questions.

Harvesting Fat for BBL

The amount of fat needed for your BBL depends on what you want the end result to be and the size of your frame. Meaning, 800cc of fat will make a bigger difference for a small framed person than for a larger framed person. It is best to harvest as much fat as possible, taking from the love handles and the abdomen and any other pockets of fat. Just be sure to communicate how much larger you would like your buttocks to be. An experienced surgeon will be able to give you the results you desire. 

The two doctors you consulted with gave you very different answers, so that can be confusing. Only consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and ask to see before and after photos. When looking at the photos, consider the size and build of the patients in the photos compared to yourself and be sure to point out the results that reflect what you desire. This process should help it make more sense to you, and help you communicate your goals with the surgeon.

German Newall, MD

How much fat for a Brazilian Butt Lift?

AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE,  It doesn't take much time to harvest from different areas and my patients have always been happy with having some removed from their tummies or thighs even if I don't use all of it for the butt augmentation.  Go with the surgeon with experience and who is planning on taking more.

How Much Fat is Transferred in the Brazilian Buttlift?

About 50% to 70% of the fat survives.   Therefore, at least 800 cc needs to be transferred to give a noticeable difference.  For more impressive results, you may want to consider 1200 cc or 1500 cc.  Find the board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Brazilian Buttlift Los Angeles, CA

For great results, you need more fat before your Brazilian Butt Lift

Thank you for your question and for posting the picture. To get a great result with a Brazilian Butt lift requires a significant amount of fat. Keep in mind that this fat is only a small portion of what must be removed through liposuction. Also approximately 20% of the fat that is transplanted but will melt away on its own. Keeping this in mind, I would agree with your surgeon to gain some weight before your Brazilian Butt lift. This will give him much more tissue to work with and you will be rewarded with a much more shapely butt.

For more information on Brazilian butt lifts or butt augmentation, please schedule an iConsult or visit us online at the link below:

How Many CC's To See A Difference?

Thank you for your question!  I typically transfer anywhere from 800ccs to 1500ccs each cheek.  You will see a difference regardless of how many CCs they put in.  Make sure you talk to your plastic surgeon and have realistic goals. It's never a bad idea to gain weight prior to your surgery.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

How much fat is needed to see BBL results?

Thank you for your question.  I can definitely appreciate your concern but unfortunately I cannot provide you with a firm answer because without seeing you it is impossible to say.  The most frustrating and uncontrollable consideration when it comes to Brazilian Butt Lifts (BBL) is that some of the fat grafted is going to be re-absorbed.  Furthermore, there is no way to predict how much or how little of the fat that is injected will go away.  For these reasons and through my experience in performing these procedures, I prefer to harvest enough fat or as much fat as possible so that I have the ability to maximize your BBL results.  In my practice, I have had very high patient satisfaction rates with BBL procedures that have lifted, re-shaped and volumized the patients buttocks.  

With respect to your abdomen, remember that liposuction helps to improve overall body contour.  Also, the buttocks are never looked at by themselves and instead are looked at in relation to your overall body contour, so if your abdomen concerns you, or your thighs and hips, it might be worthwhile to explore liposuction of these areas as well.  I hope you find this helpful and best of luck!

In order to see results with a BBL, fat is needed to be transferred. If the patient does not have enough fat, we suggest for them to gain a little weight so we can extract and transfer accordingly. Each patient is different and a proper in person evaluation would be the best method to assess the correct answer.

How Much Fat to Use for Brazilian Butt Lift, BBL

First of all, I do not think you should gain weight prior to your surgery unless you are going to remain at that new weight as the transferred fat will shrink when you eventually lose the weight.
Without an exam by a board certified plastic surgeon, it would be hard to give you the best opinion. No, you you cannot use someone else's fat. Re: the amount to transfer: A lot depends on the amount of fat that is suitable for transfer as not all fat that is removed can be transplanted - only the fat that is not traumatized or clumped. The second limiting factor is that too much fat cannot be transplanted at one time or the fat that is transferred may not fully take. Although not all fat survives initially, the part that does is more or less permanent A person’s own fat may be used to improve the appearance of his or her body by moving it from an area of excess (or where it is less desired, such as the thighs, hips or abdomen) to an area that has less volume desired or has lost tissue volume due to aging, trauma, surgery, certain diseases, birth defects, or other causes.

The Right Amount..

The amount needed varies from patient to patient and the desired enhancement the patient wants also determines how much fat may be required. It may be as little as 300-400 ml per side to over 1200 ml per side. The donor fat obviously needs to be enough to reach those goals.