Is my earlobe just bruised (from earlobe reconstruction) or could it be something worse?

I had earlobe reconstruction in my right ear 1.5 weeks ago and had no problem. This Monday I had it on my left, but the healing process is extremely different so it got me worried, as the earlobe is VERY purple and swollen (about 3 times its normal size, I'd say). My surgeon reads my texts but doesn't respond, so I'm at a loss. Thank you for reading.

Any concerns

Great question. Any type of concerns that you are having post procedure should be addressed and discussed with your surgeon. I suggest contacting the office directly for follow up.

Bruising and Swelling After Earlobe Repair #stretchedearlobe #earloberepair

• Your photos show some bruising and swelling which can happen after earlobe repair.
  • It is quite unlikely that anything more serious is happening here.
  • With time, the swelling and bruising will subside.
  • I always ask my patients to come in and see me if they have any questions/concerns.  Definitely make an appointment with your plastic surgeon to be evaluated, as that might put you more at ease. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Earlobe Repair and Bruising

Thanks for your question!  From your photos, it appears that you have some bruising at the site of repair, which is a common occurrence after any minor surgery.  I would be sure to follow up with your surgeon.  Best of luck!

Earlobe bruised

From the photo the earlobe seems bruised as you suggested. There are no other worrying features from the photos. If you are still concerned try to get in touch with your surgeon. 

Earlobe bruising

Your photos suggest bruising at the earlobe.  Very pronounced swelling can suggest a hematoma, or a small collection of the blood underneath the skin.  See your surgeon in follow-up for evaluation.  While bruising is temporary, its resolution can be sped up with IPL (intense pulsed light) or PDL (pulsed dye laser) treatment.  Good luck in your recovery!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear lobe very bruise after surgery

Thank you for asking about your ear lobe repair.

Your ear lobe is very very bruised - this can happen or there might be a reason such as taking aspirin or a mild injury to the ear after surgery. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I suspect you just have bruising based on you pictures.  I can't tell that there is anything more serious at this time based on the limited information from the pictures, so you should still follow up with your surgeon.  In the mean time, keep the area protected.

Garrett A. Wirth, MS, MS, FACS

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Earlobe repair

Thank you for your photos and post. You have bruising after your repair and should stay in close contact and/or call to make an in person appointment with your plastic surgeon for a checkup.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon