How Often Do Younger People Need Botox Injections?

I'm a 32-year-old, and I'm thinking of having Botox for the first time. How often do people around my age need to get re-injected? Is it less, since my wrinkles are less severe, than let's say, a 50-year-old's? I wanted to inject Botox in between my eyebrows and maybe a little crow's feet. I have had a lot of sun exposure throughout the years, since I was a ski instructor for many years. I undergo occasional chemical peels to help with my melasma and hoped that some Botox could help with some of the wrinkles.

Age doesn't affect how frequently you should get Botox

For most people, the effects of Botox will last between 2 months and 6 months with the average being 4 months. Some wrinkles form because muscles bend the skin in certain places over and over again, which weakens the collagen in your skin. This creates wrinkles and creases just like bending a piece of paper or a credit card will eventually create a crease.

Botox stops wrinkles by stopping muscle motion so that your body can fill in the area of the wrinkle with Botox. For anti-aging, it's best to get Botox again before the wrinkle actually comes back in order to prevent collagen damage. If you are just doing Botox for the look of it, you can generally get away with stretching it out until you notice the wrinkles again.

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Age does not make a difference for Botox

Botox does not generally require different frequency of administration based on age. The number of units will differ depending on the muscle mass and depth of wrinkle, but most people, regardless of age, need to have Botox repeated every 4-5 months, sometimes less and sometimes more frequently.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

The 'effects' of Botox may vary between patients

On average, most patients will notice that they will see a return of 'dynamic' wrinkles (those created from muscle contraction) by three months after injections of Botox.

Some patients do not want to see any movement or appearance of any wrinkles and may feel that Botox only lasts them 2-3 months, while other patients may say that their Botox lasted them 6-9 months, but upon examination you see a fair amount of movement.

In general, this is not dependent on age. You may find someone in their late 20's or early 30s with very animated wrinkles that are quite apparent with only little muscle contraction, while you may see a 60-year-old patient with few dynamic wrinkles.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Less frequent Botox injections because of age?

Botox generally lasts about 4 months. The patients age has no bearing on how long the Botox will last on them. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Preventative Botox: Treating wrinkles before they form

Patients are understanding prevention of wrinkles is far better than treating wrinkles what have already formed.  Preventative botox requires less product and oftentimes more time between treatments.

John L. Burns Jr., MD

Age and Botox Duration

Age doesn't seem to be as important as a person's individual response to Botox. Although everyone is a bit different, on average the changes you see after injection will begin to fade at the 3-4 month mark, and it will likely take 6-7 months for the effects to wear off entirely. However, patients who are treated on a regular basis may experience an increase in the duration of the effect over time.

Samuel Lien, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Botox in younger people

Thank you for your question. Patients are starting to use Botox at younger and younger ages. They can even start in their 20s and typically want to retain the smooth appearance of the forehead/frown region and their crows feet to prevent the lines from appearing in the future. The treatment lasts for several months but in some patients, they can last even 6 months.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

How Often Do Younger People Need Botox Injections

Thank you for your question.  Botox lasts a average of 3 months, sometimes less and other times longer.  Age does not factor in the duration of botox.  COnsult with a board certied injector. Best wishes

Jeff Angobaldo, MD

Botox frequency

Botox typically lasts for about 3-4 months. You might see results last longer if you've had many treatments performed before or if the area you have treated isn't moved a lot. On the other hand, it might not last as long if you use the area a lot. Therefore, you can schedule your treatments about every 4 months or so.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

How Long Botox Lasts & How Often to Get Botox

We frequently see patients who are in their early 30s with vertical glabeller frown lines. This group often benefits from botox injections for this problem. Under these circumstances, the patient's age doesn't appear to impact the duration of botox.

The duration of the response to botox varies from patient to patient and depends on a variety of factors. In the majority of patients , botox last for 3 to 4 months, but in some cases it may last only 2 months, while in other cases it may last up to 8 months.

These variations occur for several reasons. In some patients, the facial muscles may be unusually strong or large and for this reason botox wears off quickly. There may also be variations in the patient's aesthetic goals. Some patients may want a stronger effect from botox with obliteration of all facial lines of expression even during facial animation. While others may still want a more expressive face during animation. These aesthetic goals can affect how much botox is utilized and it’s duration of action. For these reasons it's important to make sure your aesthetic goals are understood by your practitioner.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon