How Often Do Younger People Need Botox Injections?

I'm a 32-year-old, and I'm thinking of having Botox for the first time. How often do people around my age need to get re-injected? Is it less, since my wrinkles are less severe, than let's say, a 50-year-old's? I wanted to inject Botox in between my eyebrows and maybe a little crow's feet. I have had a lot of sun exposure throughout the years, since I was a ski instructor for many years. I undergo occasional chemical peels to help with my melasma and hoped that some Botox could help with some of the wrinkles.

Age doesn't affect how frequently you should get Botox

For most people, the effects of Botox will last between 2 months and 6 months with the average being 4 months. Some wrinkles form because muscles bend the skin in certain places over and over again, which weakens the collagen in your skin. This creates wrinkles and creases just like bending a piece of paper or a credit card will eventually create a crease.

Botox stops wrinkles by stopping muscle motion so that your body can fill in the area of the wrinkle with Botox. For anti-aging, it's best to get Botox again before the wrinkle actually comes back in order to prevent collagen damage. If you are just doing Botox for the look of it, you can generally get away with stretching it out until you notice the wrinkles again.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Botox can help people of all ages

When you are younger and the wrinkles are less deep it may take a little less Botox to get rid of your wrinkles.  Re-injection is either four to six months depending on how you respond to the injections.  I have found over the years that Botox is especially wonderful for my younger patients because it treats the existing wrinkles and prevents new ones! Just try to use sun block daily to prevent new wrinkles as well!

Botox can help people of all ages

Age does not make a difference for Botox

Botox does not generally require different frequency of administration based on age. The number of units will differ depending on the muscle mass and depth of wrinkle, but most people, regardless of age, need to have Botox repeated every 4-5 months, sometimes less and sometimes more frequently.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

The 'effects' of Botox may vary between patients

On average, most patients will notice that they will see a return of 'dynamic' wrinkles (those created from muscle contraction) by three months after injections of Botox.

Some patients do not want to see any movement or appearance of any wrinkles and may feel that Botox only lasts them 2-3 months, while other patients may say that their Botox lasted them 6-9 months, but upon examination you see a fair amount of movement.

In general, this is not dependent on age. You may find someone in their late 20's or early 30s with very animated wrinkles that are quite apparent with only little muscle contraction, while you may see a 60-year-old patient with few dynamic wrinkles.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Sanjay Grover, MD

Botox dose

Thank you for your question Ali M.. I understand your concern. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox can be used to address the vertical lines seen between the brows when one frowns and the crow's feet seen around the eyes when one smiles or squints. The pivotal studies demonstrated that when 20 units or 24 units, respectively, are used in these areas the peak effects are seen 14 days after the treatment and most people enjoy their results for 3-4 months. For those with more mild wrinkles and/or those with less bulky muscles a lower dose may be used. However, in my experience I have found that when lower doses are used patients do not enjoy their results for as long. Recent studies have shown that using a higher dose allows for patients to enjoy their results for a longer period without additional side effects.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Botox dose

Botox Injections

Botox is an FDA-approved injectables that helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by causing them to relax and soften.

These treatments work by blocking the action of unwanted dynamic wrinkles. Over time, this prevents the wrinkles from becoming deeper creases and therefore more pronounced.

Most patients see improvement within several days of injection with Botox. The result will usually last about three to six months, everyone is different, at which point the muscle action gradually returns and the lines and wrinkles begin to reappear.

Over time, however, and with repeated injections, the lines and wrinkles will become less severe as the muscles are trained to relax.

The chemical peels are a great start and should definitely help with the Melasma as long as you keep up the maintenance. Botox is the go to for wrinkles!

Botox Injections

How often do I need Botox injections?

Botox relaxes muscles for various amount of time. Some patient need the injection every 12 months and others may need them every 3 months. In addition, Botox or similar products last longer or shorter depending on the site and the amount injected. 

The frequency of injections can change depending on other treatments being some as some treatments such as fillers, lasers and PRP can increase the time between Botox treatments as the skin improves.

Please make sure that you see an experienced doctor for a thorough consultation and assessment prior to undergoing any treatments.
Best regards and I hope this helps, Dr. Sapijaszko.

How often do I need Botox injections?

Think of botox first as treatment, then maintenance and prevention

The earlier you start Botox, the better in terms of keeping your muscle movement induced wrinkles from becoming permanent fixtures on your face.  Botox (and Dysport and Xeomin) last about 3 - 6 months in most patients.  The frequency has less to do with your age than with the strength of those muscles to be treated and how much of a habit it is to make those expressions.

Im glad to hear that your sun exposure was from the past and you are already treating it with chemical peels.  Improving your overall skin quality and preventing more damage - particularly by not smoking and by protecting yourself from ultraviolet damage -- will help everything you do look better and the results last longer.

I hope this answer was helpful. Best wishes.

Less frequent Botox injections because of age?

Botox generally lasts about 4 months. The patients age has no bearing on how long the Botox will last on them. 

Preventative Botox: Treating wrinkles before they form

Patients are understanding prevention of wrinkles is far better than treating wrinkles what have already formed.  Preventative botox requires less product and oftentimes more time between treatments.