What Are the Post Treatment Instructions After Botox?

Post treatment for Botox

Great Question. I always suggest to my patients that they do not lay down for 4 hours following the treatment, and to avoid exercising for the rest of the day. I also encourage my patients to avoid any type of aspirin products for up to one week PRIOR to the procedure and for a couple day after as well ( this helps to decreasing any excess bleeding). The timeline of how long it takes for Botox takes full effect also varies on the individual, but most of the time you can get full results within 7 days. 

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Post Treatment Advise after Botox

Botox is meant to temporarily block the transmission of nerve impulses to the muscles; reducing the activity in these muscles thus decreasing the appearance of lines/wrinkles. Cleansing your face on the day of treatment will in no way affect the outcome of your treatment . We recommend avoiding any direct pressure to the brow such as visors, massage tables and cleansing brushes for 1 week.

#Botoxaftercare    #expectationsofBotox  #BotoxAfterCare

What to Expect After BOTOX Injections

BOTOX injections take about 15 minutes to administer and don't require any downtime. If your job doesn't involve physically strenuous activities, you can return to work immediately. You should take it easy in the first 2 or 3 hours after getting the injections and avoid rubbing the treatment area. Results typically take about 3 to 4 days to appear and usually last about 4 months.

Suzanne Bruce, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Back to (Almost) Normal Activities

A big part of the appeal of BOTOX is the fact that it doesn't require any downtime or major activity restrictions. With only a few limitations, BOTOX patients can get back to their usual activities immediately after their appointments, which typically last less than an hour. These limitations are quite mild and include avoiding bending over or manipulating the treatment area for the remainder of the day in order to allow the product to settle evenly. You may also wish to skip your daily workout for the same reason, and avoid consuming any blood-thinning products, such as aspirin or alcohol, for a couple of days before and after the procedure. Thanks for your question, and good luck with your treatment!

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Pretty easy

Botox is a very easy procedure to recover from.  I tell my patients not to rub their face or lay down for the next 2-3 hours.  I think ice is ok intermittently for the rest of the day as long as no rubbing.  I also advise no blood thinners for 24 hours.  

Another thing that often is not mentioned is head apparel.  Women should not wear a head band or anything else that might put pressure across the brow.  Men should also not wear a hat as it can be compressing.  Compression could cause migration of the botox downwards into the eyelids and lead to droopy eyelids.  

Hope this helps!

After Botox

One of the beauties of Botox is there are few restrictions after treatment. I advise my patients not to lie down until two hours after receiving Botox, and not to immediately massage the area where Botox was injected. It is truly a no down-time procedure.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Rules and Instructions after Botox (or Dysport) Treatment

The Rules after Botox:
  1. No massaging or manipulating the area directly and no facials or lying face down on a massage table for at least one week.
  2. No lying down flat for four hours.
  3. No exercise at all the same day after treatment.
  4. No aggressive exercise for 24 hours.
  5. Ideally no flying on a plane within 24 hours.
  6. Call immediately if you are worried about anything. Don't hesitate.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Post Treatment

I always suggest to my patients to not exercise for at least one day and to not lie down for the next four hours after treatment. I also recommend to not take any blood thinners like aspirin for the next couple days. It is also best to not rub your face so the Botox can settle into place.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Post Treatment Botox instructions

Dear susie knox:

After your Botox treatment, I would advise you to avoid lying flat for the first 4 hours after injection, avoid hot tubs and saunas, and vigorous/intense exercise in the first 24 hours after Botox injection.  Best of luck.

Botox aftercare instructions

Thank you for your question Susie knox. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. For my patients I provide the following aftercare instructions: please avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after the treatment and avoid lying down flat for 4 hours after the treatment. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician