What Are the Post Treatment Instructions After Botox?

Post treatment for Botox

Great Question. I always suggest to my patients that they do not lay down for 4 hours following the treatment, and to avoid exercising for the rest of the day. I also encourage my patients to avoid any type of aspirin products for up to one week PRIOR to the procedure and for a couple day after as well ( this helps to decreasing any excess bleeding). The timeline of how long it takes for Botox takes full effect also varies on the individual, but most of the time you can get full results within 7 days. 

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Back to (Almost) Normal Activities

A big part of the appeal of BOTOX is the fact that it doesn't require any downtime or major activity restrictions. With only a few limitations, BOTOX patients can get back to their usual activities immediately after their appointments, which typically last less than an hour. These limitations are quite mild and include avoiding bending over or manipulating the treatment area for the remainder of the day in order to allow the product to settle evenly. You may also wish to skip your daily workout for the same reason, and avoid consuming any blood-thinning products, such as aspirin or alcohol, for a couple of days before and after the procedure. Thanks for your question, and good luck with your treatment!

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Post Treatment Advise after Botox

Botox is meant to temporarily block the transmission of nerve impulses to the muscles; reducing the activity in these muscles thus decreasing the appearance of lines/wrinkles. Cleansing your face on the day of treatment will in no way affect the outcome of your treatment . We recommend avoiding any direct pressure to the brow such as visors, massage tables and cleansing brushes for 1 week.

#Botoxaftercare    #expectationsofBotox  #BotoxAfterCare

Pretty easy

Botox is a very easy procedure to recover from.  I tell my patients not to rub their face or lay down for the next 2-3 hours.  I think ice is ok intermittently for the rest of the day as long as no rubbing.  I also advise no blood thinners for 24 hours.  

Another thing that often is not mentioned is head apparel.  Women should not wear a head band or anything else that might put pressure across the brow.  Men should also not wear a hat as it can be compressing.  Compression could cause migration of the botox downwards into the eyelids and lead to droopy eyelids.  

Hope this helps!

Brian Arslanian, MD

After Botox

One of the beauties of Botox is there are few restrictions after treatment. I advise my patients not to lie down until two hours after receiving Botox, and not to immediately massage the area where Botox was injected. It is truly a no down-time procedure.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Rules and Instructions after Botox (or Dysport) Treatment

The Rules after Botox:
  1. No massaging or manipulating the area directly and no facials or lying face down on a massage table for at least one week.
  2. No lying down flat for four hours.
  3. No exercise at all the same day after treatment.
  4. No aggressive exercise for 24 hours.
  5. Ideally no flying on a plane within 24 hours.
  6. Call immediately if you are worried about anything. Don't hesitate.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Post Botox Instructions

Botox is one of the leading cosmetic treatments done around the world. Common cosmetic usages include wrinkle reduction and Hyperhidrosis. Typically, most patients can return their normal activity shorty after treatment. As a precaution it is recommended that patients stay upright for 4 hours, and additionally no exercising for 24 hours post treatment. Always discuss common side effects prior to your treatment with a Board Certified Dermatologist.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Post treatment

One of the key benefits of toxin is that there is little downtime and essentially no recovery. It does take some time for the onset to take but other than that I only ask patients to take one day off of exercise and any blood thinners. 

You can apply ice and warm compress if there are any small bruises but essentially relax and enjoy!

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

What Are the Post Treatment Instructions ?

You can return to normal activites immediately following treatment. However I recommend my patients to stay upright for 4 hours, no strenuous exercise and to avoid rubbing or massaging the treated area.

Eddy Dona, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

My Aftercare for Injectable Treatments

My aftercare recommendations for a Botox or filler treatment:

1. Avoid strenuous physical activity (e.g., cardio workout) until the next day. Excess muscle movement and blood flow may contribute to swelling and excessive dispersion of product.  
  2. Avoid massaging the treated area (unless instructed to do so by your provider.
  3. Avoid sun and/or cold outdoor activities until redness/swelling disappears. Inflamed skin is more sensitive and prone to pigment changes. 
  4. Ice can be applied for 2-3 days after the procedure. Avoid direct contact of the ice with skin, as this can result in cold-related skin damage. 
  5. Sleep with head elevated for one night. Two pillows are usually enough, and a good rule of thumb is to keep the head higher than the heart. 
  6. Use Tylenol to alleviate minor pain. Avoid aspirin-containing products or anti-inflammatory medications (Motrin, Aleve, etc.) for 2-3 days after the procedure, as these may increase the risk of bleeding/bruising.
  7. Resume skin care products, such as retinoids and glycolic acids, the next day.
  8. Remember, it will take a little time for your results to reach their full potential.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon