Botox jaw reduction in New York City?

It is difficult to find a doctor that specializes in this procedure- at least on here. My jaw muscle is oversized, giving my face a square look. I would like to gain a softer, more feminine jaw line.

Botox and Dysport for jaw slimming

Thank you for your question. Botox or Dysport can be a very effective way to contour the jaw line by reducing the masseter shadow through the outer jaw skin. In addition, it can reduce symptoms of jaw clenching or grinding of teeth at night time. This is an advanced technique that requires a strong understanding of the underlying anatomy. Some side effects can results in some very unintented effects. This can include affecting the smile due to diffusion of the Botox into neighboring smile muscles. Over treatment can also overweaken your jaw muscles making it harder to chew food and causes your jaw muscles to relax too much when you sleep.
The injection technique does vary by physical exam and the goals of the treatment. Facial contouring goals may change the injection sites themselves to affect different portions of the masseter as well as the dose. The strength of the masseters can be felt by palpation and also helps me to determine dosing. In general, I start with 15- 25 units of Botox (OR 50-75 units of Dysport) per side for most patients. If they have very strong masseters, then I may increase the dose, but more commonly ask them to return in three weeks for a touch up. Once you get the desired result, I let patients know that future treatments may require less to maintain the look or the jaw clenching symptoms, especially if they get treated as soon as they notice the symptoms return. This can be as soon as three to four months, but in some cases, patients report that it lasts six months or more. I find it depends on the dose we use and how many times we have done the procedure as the duration may lengthen for patients that repeat it regularly.

Botox and Jaw Reduction

Botox is a fabulous procedure for slimming the jaw line. If you clench down on the masseter muscle you will feel the area where the Botox is injected. It is a very simple office procedure which gives very nice results. A lot of my patients from Asia like this procedure since it slims the face For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Botox. 

Square Jaws Due To Masseter Muscle Hypertrophy Respond Well To Botox Injections

The presence of a square jaw is typically considered a masculinizing feature. When present in a woman, due to a hypertrophic masseter muscle (overbulking of the chewing muscle), the condition may be easily treated with the injection of a neuromodulator, Botox, Dysport or Xeomin.

When appropriately injected into the masseter to thin it along the jawline, neuromodulators improve and feminize the appearance of region, without affecting the ability to chew. Treatment of the masseter muscles is not one of the more common uses of neuromodulators, like treating the scowl lines, so consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience in this area would be prudent. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Botox can help slim the lower face

Botox works by relaxing muscles. For people with square jaws, relaxing the muscle called the masseter muscle can reduce the overall width of the lower face. This will not affect the ability to chew.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Botox injection can soften the jaw line and give a more feminine look.

Dear writer, Botox injection can soften the jaw line and give a more feminine look. Provided there is true hypertrophy (excess development) of the jaw muscles (masseter),  Botox injection is a relatively simple procedure that will provide the desired look with often times just one treatment session, providing results that will last for several months.  

Botox and jaw reduction

You have to be patient,  Jaw reduction with botox can take several treatments provided that it is due to masseter hypertrophy.  Good luck.

Is there a solution with Botox?

I agree with everyone who has given the same answer..."It depends!" There is a limit to how much an online consultation with a specialist can keep you from going into a Doctors office to get an in person evaluation. 
Hope this helps you. I would seek out a thought leader in Botox in your area. Chances are they will give you the best advice for you. Let a trained cosmetic physician  (Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon) see what would be best for you

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Jaw Reduction

To know if you are a good candidate for Botox Jaw Reduction, I would need to see you in person for consultation.  It would be good if post pictures with you at rest and also with you clenching down.  If your muscle bulges or becomes thick when you clench your teeth, you will likely have a nice result with Botox treatment to your jawline.  The treatment in the office is quick and easy and very effective if the right candidate.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox for a softer jaw line

Without a photo, it is impossible to comment objectively on your situation but Botox may relax the muscles to achieve some improvement.  The question is not only the size of the muscle, as you state, but whether there is a malalignment or other condition which might require surgical reconstruction.

Botox in Muscles On the Jawline is Effective in Softening the Face

Botox injected into the muscles on the jawline is quick, easy and effecient method to reduce the size of the jaw.  I use 25 units per side and the muscles will soften and shrink over a few weeks.  I would call a facial plastic surgeons office to see if they offer the procedure.  I am sure that are many locations that offer this in NYC.  I would ask about the comfort and experience with the procedure.