Botox Vs Fillers for Minor Forehead Wrinkles?

I am 30 and have two very small wrinkles on my forehead when my face is relaxed. I'd prefer not to even have those.

I've heard Botox would help but I've also been told fillers instead? I'm confused. I would upload a picture but you really can't even see them in those.

Botox or Dysport

Those lines are getting etched in over time from repetitive movement of the frontalis muscle. A little neuromodulation with Botox or Dysport will do the trick, especially after 2-3 sessions. Be sure you get a little between the brows as well to prevent brow drop.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox is treatment of choice for forehead

Generally, Botox is the treatment of choice for the forehead area, as it can be very difficult to place fillers correctly there. I would recommend starting with Botox to see if your wrinkles soften or even disappear, and if after a few Botox sessions you are still unhappy with the appearance of your wrinkles, you could try to find a highly skilled dermatologist who could potentially place a small amount of filler. Often, Botox works very well to soften lines that aren’t too deep yet.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox or fillers

Thank you for your question. Botox can be used to soften the appearance of lines and wrinkles that deepen with expression. These include the horizontal lines of the forehead, the frown lines between brows and the smile lines (crows feet) on the sides of the eyes. They typically last 3-4 months. Fillers on the other hand is very effective at filling in the lines or shadows when you are not expressing yourself. They can also be used to shape and lift the face. I would recommend that you visit with at board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area to discuss your treatment options so they can be tailored to your concerns and goals.

Forehead Wrinkles: Botox or Filler?

Fillers have virtually no role in the forehead. Botox can be very effective and help soften fine wrinkles on the forehead. The glabella region (between the eyes) is another common area for Botox treatment which usually responds well. This area is commonly referred to as the '11s' due to the vertical lines that form due to overactivity of the corrugator muscles. However, a horizontal line can also form due to overactivity of the procerus muscle.

Forehead wrinkles

I would recommend starting with a neuromodulator such as Botox or Dysport to relax these muscles. The lines may resolve with this alone. If they don't, you may then consider filler to the area.

Fillers for static wrinkles

Fillers would be better for you because the wrinkles are visible even when your face is in a neutral expression. This means that they are "static" wrinkles, and fillers is the right treatment to smooth them away. If the wrinkles appeared only when you made a facial expression, like frowning, then Botox would be more suitable. Botox treats "dynamic" wrinkles.

Botox vs. Filler

Botox works to relax muscle movement and prevent lines from becoming a "fixed feature" in the face.  It can not take away the lines that are present with a flat affect.  At 30 years old, I doubt your lines are very deep.  I've found that my patients with fine lines experience a softening in the appearance of the lines after 1 treatment.  After 2-3 treatments of Botox I've seen lines completely go away.  I'd advise getting Botox 2-3 times before considering filler.  For safety reasons, it's best to avoid using filler when possible in the forehead particularly.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Botox is almost always the first choice...

all you need is a little bit and you'll see the benefits within a week...by two weeks if you're not entirely thrilled, it's always possible either to get some more or to consider some filler...but with the minor problem you describe, the botox should suffice

Ken Landow, MD

Botox for forehead lines

Botox stops movement and should be tried first.  If your lines are still bothersome, filler can then be injected.  Keeping up with your Botox injections will help the filler last longer.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox is definitely the best treatment

Botox is very effective for lines in the forehead and can require very few units to get the Desired effect therefore the cost can be very inexpensive. Filler, on the other hand, would be much more expensive and does not eradicate the lines that bother you wig animation and normally doesn't completely eradicate them at rest either.

Carla R. Retief, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon