What's the minimum number of passes permitted for Fraxel resurfacing treatment? (Photo)

Today, I was scheduled to undergo laser resurfacing with Scion Halo. When I was seated to begin the procedure, the doctor told me the machine failed, and suggested I underwent treatment with Fraxel (do not know any more details), telling me the results would be the same, just with more pain. I followed his advice. He did a total of 3 passes in my face and 2 in my neck. I was very red at the end, but 2 hours later, I am barely red at all a with no pain. Will I get any meaningful results?

Fraxel Laser

I perform thousands of Fraxel laser and the common directions are eight passes in each area.  I would return to your treating physician and discuss your concerns.  Best, Dr. Green

Fraxel

I agree with Dr. Green.
Eight passes are minimum for Fraxel. Nevertheless, even with eight passes,  the results for tightening are,  in our experience, not as significant as what can be achieved with other devices such as Fractora, that both tightens and re-texturises the skin. (We own several machines in our office and can make such comparisons easily.) It is important that you be evaluated by a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon who is very well versed with multiple technologies and can advise you on the best technology for your needs. 

Best wishes in your quest,
Dr. Anna Petropoulos
Boston's North Shore

Anna Petropoulos, MD, FRCS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel Laser And Results

The typical pass number is 6-8 for all areas , what matters most is the energy delivered and the density.  The pass number is the pain control.  What were you trying to treat?  I find fraxel to be MUCH MORE effective than halo.  Best, Dr. Emer.