How to effectively remove sun freckles on forearm after trying hydroquinone? Persist w/ Rx creams or try Fraxel Dual/IPL?(photo)

I've been using hydroquinone 4% and tretinoin 0.1% on my forearms for nearly 2 months to try and fade my sun freckles and they've only minimally lightened. The freckles have been limited to a small patch since childhood but spread after really intense unprotected sunbathing. I now use physical sunscreen like how I use toothpaste - daily. Would IPL/ Fraxel dual be suitable or would the Obagi products be enough but needs more time?

Removing sun freckles with Fraxel

With the amount of sun freckles on your arms I would recommend a treatment like an IPL or Fraxel 1927 laser. We get great results treating sunspots with our Fraxel 1927. You are doing the right thing by protecting your skin with a physical sunscreen just remember to reapply depending on the exposure time. I like to partner the use of Obagi products and laser treatments to help with hyperpigmention issues for my patients. I would recommend consulting with a qualified provider to go over your treatment options.  

Extensive Sun Damage

With the extent of sun damage that you have I would definitely recommend the Fraxel Dual to treat your arms.  However, you have to be realistic since it would take at least three treatments spaced one month apart to improve this pigmentation.  Best, Dr. Green

Sun Freckles on forearms

Great question. Both the IPL Photoderm and the Fraxel Thulium (1927) wavelength work well for freckles and sun spots of the forearms. From the photos you provided, you are going to need  to do more than the Obagi products. I think that the combo of an IPL and the Fraxel 1927 would be a great option for you. I recommend getting a consult with a board certified dermatologist who to go over your options. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Fraxel for arms

I personally like the Fraxel 1927 for arms. Reason? Because we can blend - IPL may give you too good a result, leaving cut offs. If you have heavy damage, I usually use PULSE FRAXEL, i.e.. IPL first, followed by Fraxel. 

I usually wait 4-5 weeks, then re treat with Fraxel 1927 only. Blending in is the key, ie. less passes along the edges. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist