How long will collagen continue to generate after a Silhouette Lift? My face looks bloated.

I recently had a silhouette lift with non-absorbable sutures and absorbable cones. After 6 weeks, my doctor cut the suture tension because one side was too tight. I still have the sutures in my face and the cones made from sculptura have started to dissolve; they will completely dissolve over 9 months stimulating collagen. I know this is a new procedure, but how long will collagen continue to generate? My face looks bloated/shapeless. Can I have the sutures removed once the cones dissolve?

Placement of foreign material in the face as part of a "miniaturize" facelift is a bad idea.

I have seen so many shortcuts to facelifts involving placement of various slings and implants over my career I can barely count them.  they never work.

Unhappy with results

Yes after 6 months the cones should be dissolved thus allowing removal of the thin praline sutures. Most are very happy with this new technique. Maybe your surgeon was not experienced in the placement and the correct facial vectors to be used? I have personally preformed 35 cases and have had no complaints. But you must understand that it does not replace a true facelift....

How long does a silhouette face lift last

The answer to your question is 'may be.'

The Silhouette face lift is a suspension suture face lift. 
The suture is a polypropylene (a permanent material like nylon).
Along the suture are 'cones' of absorbable material.
The material is supposed to stimulate collagen, so the suture lift holds.

There is NO scientific information to show that this face lift works.
Perhaps it does, perhaps it is hokum.

Sculptra effects are unpredictable - I have seen patients whose bodies saw no effect, and a few who did.

If your body absorbs the sculptra 'cone', and if there is no adhesion of your tissues to the permanent suture, it may slip out easily. But it may be embedded in scar and impossible to remove.

But this may not change your facial bloating and loss of shape. This is either from the procedure itself or from your body's response to Sculptra. If the former, it will slowly improve. If the latter, possibly not. 

Facelift

Hello northeastcitygirl, 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any further treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

As Dr. Fechner stated the silhouette lift is not a commonly acknowledged technique for facelift.  My understanding it is similar to the largely abandoned thread lift that surgeons have stopped using due to unsatisfactory results.

I would discuss with your surgeon regarding the expected outcome of this procedure.  Sculptra is meant to give years of collagen stimulated results, if that is truly what the "cones" are made from.  Again, this all is very unclear.

Good luck, 

Dr. S

Scott Shadfar, MD
Edmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nobody Knows Except Your Surgeon

Your question is interesting as the majority of facelift surgeons will not know what you are referring to. "Cones", "Silhouette" and sutures that were cut 6 weeks after your procedure - I am not sure what this means. I am sorry that I cannot be of help but your surgeon would know best.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon