I was told I couldn't have coolsculpting on my abdomen as I had a laporoscopic hysterectomy and have small scars. Is this true?

Coolsculpting and previous surgery

It is fine for you to have the procedure provided you do not have a hernia. This is the only reason I would not recommend treatment after surgery. I have treated many patients with previous abdominal surgery and they've done great. Good luck, Dr. M

Annapolis General Surgeon

CoolSculpting

We treat over scars with CoolSculpting on the abdomen, so you can be treated. But we are careful to avoid in the mid-line a problem called diastasis, where the muscles separate, sort of like a scar or muscle weakness, and there is some risk of possible herniation.

I would recommend a consultation with someone who has preformed many of these procedures.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Hernias

there is no reason you cannot have coolsculpting if there is NO hernia under.  If there is enough fat that fits into the applicatior you are fine.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cool sculpting can be used on scars

Cool Sculpting can safely be used around scars  but some abdominal scars may be associated with incisional hernias. Your doctor may be concerned that you have a hernia. General surgery training involves the diagnosis and treatment of hernias. I recommend you see a General surgeon or plastic surgeon with general surgery training who also does Cool Sculpting to give you an opinion.  Use their expertise. 

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Not true at all

You can certainly get Coolsculpting on your abdomen after surgery. A contraindication to it, however, is a hernia or a weakened abdominal wall. Areas that are weak within the abdominal wall could potentially allow for worsening symptoms and progression of a hernia. Also if you have a separation of the abdominal wall due to previous pregnancies, you need to be very careful. You should be evaluated by a certified Coolsculpt practitioner. Good luck. 

Arianna Sholes-Douglas, MD
Tucson OB/GYN

Nope, Not True

It is perfectly fine to have CoolSculpting done in the area of prior surgery as long as you don't have a hernia in the area. We have done plenty of treatments on patients after laparoscopic surgery with no problems and great results. I suggest you find an experienced provider for a proper evaluation. Best of luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Scars and Coolsculpting

Absolutely not true. The only concern is an underlying hernia which can be felt in physical exam. Maybe look for a practice with more experience. I think is is best to see a plastic surgeon with a CoolSculpting device, because they have more to offer if CoolSculpting is not your best option.
Sincerely,

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Told could not have CoolSculpting because of prior laparoscopic hysterectomy

The presence of small scars from a laparoscopic hysterectomy should not prevent someone from being treated with CoolSculpting.  The presence of a hernia in the treatment area would prevent someone from being treated though.  You would need to be examined however to find out if you would be a good candidate for the procedure.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

#CoolSculpting over scars

Dear Idaho_seabee:

CoolSculpting can be performed over surgical scars. On the abdomen, the only concerns with scars is to ensure that there is no hernia associated with the scar. Examining the tissues and asking you to perform a maneuver that increases pressure in the abdomen will determine whether there is a hernia. Most often, this is not the case and the procedure can be performed safely.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

CoolSculpting complication following laparoscopic surgery

Dear idaho_seabee:

The potential for injury to intra-abdominal organs from CoolSculpting over a reducible hernia is negligible. If the hernia contains a non-reducible loop of intestine or other organ, I would recommend NO CoolSculpting directly over the hernia contents and obtain consultation from your laparoscopic surgeon or Board Certified General Surgeon to evaluate your hernia for potential complications. 

Good luck with this!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS