32DD breast reduction? (5'2, 98 pounds, very petite). Could I possibly be a good candidate for breast reduction?

I am 20 years old and I recently got measured. (According to them I am actually in between a DD and a DDD and my band size is closer to 30.) I've always been unhappy with my breasts. They cause back pain, I can never find bras except for in Victoria's Secret, and they just look SO big compared to my small frame. Could I possibly be a good candidate for breast reduction?

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain.

In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.

Kind regards 

It certainly sounds like it

You may be a wonderful candidate for breast reduction surgery, but we can only tell for sure with an examination.  Make sure you find a plastic surgeon that gets gorgeous results with breast reductions and listens to your goals.  I have all my patients bring in wish pics to help guide me during surgery!  Hope this helps.

-JGH

Absolutely

Back pain is among the top reasons to seek breast reduction - so you are likely an excellent candidate.  I frequently see patients who come in to inquire about a breast reduction because of back pain, and during the interview they find they have several other symptoms that are related to macromastia (large breasts).  These symptoms include headaches (most commonly starting in the back of the head), neck pain, shoulder pain, numbness and tingling in the arms and hands when wearing a bra, shoulder grooving, rashes from constant moisture trapped under the breasts, and difficulty doing a breast exam because of the volume of breast tissue.  So go see a plastic surgeon!  Having a breast reduction may be a good move for you for lots of reasons.  Best of luck - and remember to pick someone who is board certified.

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

You may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. A lift will not produce symptomatic relief. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Breast Reduction

Yes, you sound like you are a good candidate.  For your height and weight a DD cup size is excessive and can definitely explain your symptoms.  Insurance should cover the surgery.  

Based on the information provided, a breast lift may be a good option for you. See a plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Am I a candidate for a breast reduction.

Thanks for your question. A consult with a PS will help guide you. If your stats are correct breast reduction could certainly make sense. Many stores and shops are crazy inaccurate when measuring breasts so an exam by your PS will be key to guiding you.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

It appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a breast reduction surgery given that you have symptoms characteristic to having large breast.  I would seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area. It would be helpful if your primary care physician has seen you and feels that your back pain is related to the size your breast.  Good luck, breast reduction surgery has the highest patient satisfaction rate. 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction surgery candidate?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Of course, definitive assessment and advice would require in person evaluation.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.