Meraglia Parasynthetica - anyone ever heard of this developing after breast reduction surgery?

Post bilateral breast reduction 5 days ago, feeling great, but do not sleep well, and hate sleeping on my back the whole time. Next, pain and numbness all over the side of my right thigh. Could this be an outcome of surgery that will go away ?

Thigh pain post breast surgery

Thanks for your question.

It is too early to tell if your pain is caused by MP.  A guess would suggest that it may have been due to position either during the surgery or in the first few days of recover,  Aches and pains seem to resolve without treatment over the first month postop.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Dr. T

Meralgia paresthetica post breast reduction

I have had an occasional patient who has had this. I feel it is related to positioning during surgery or pressure from the belt that holds you during surgery. It has always been a temporary phenomenon. You might try putting a pillow under your arm to see if it helps you sleep on your side. Also wearing a sports bra at night can help.

Karen Quigley, MD

Meralgia paresthetica

This is a syndrome of pain or numbness on the anterior thigh.It would be unusual to be caused by a breast reduction. It can be caused by a lot of different things including positioning.  At 5 days out from surgery, it may just get better. Review with your surgeon.