Why is my belly so big after surgery?

Diastis recti repair as well as mesh for an umbilical hernia was performed on my stomach after my second birth 5 years ago. I am 38yrs. old, 137 lbs., 5'6'' and wear a size 4 pant. I have always been very fit but still have a protruding stomach... To the point that many people assume I'm pregnant again. Although I am carrying an extra 10 pounds at the moment, I can't figure out why my belly is so big... Any advice?

Why is my belly so big after surgery?

Hi. Without photos, it's impossible to give you a more accurate assessment. When you had the diastasis corrected, did you have a tummy tuck also? The fact that you have put in 10 pounds may be sufficient to make your abdomen more prominent. Good luck Dr PG

Big belly after surgery

Unfortunately without any pictures before and after the surgery it's too difficult to say what the reasoning could be for the extra belly weight. It's possible that it could be swelling but only if within one year from surgical repair. Best to see your doctor and have him evaluate you.

Thank you for your question!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Large belly

really difficult to answer this question with an exam or interview, especially since you've already had surgery. I would highly suggest you discuss your concerns with you surgeon and go from there. Good luck!

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Why is my belly so big after surgery?

Since you send no photos is impossible to say if it is to big.

Any way you can always ask your surgeon for a revision of your belly.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Protruding belly

This is hard to evaluate without photos but perhaps your hernia repair came undone.I would go back to your PS or general surgeon to be re evaluated.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Why is my belly so big after surgery

Very hard to respond without even one posted photo! You could seek in person GS or PS evaluation and scans....

Protruding belly after diastasis rectus repair

This is a difficult question to answer without an exam. However, my best guess is simply that the repair of your diastasis either failed or simply wasn't aggressive enough. The next possibility is that your abdomen was not sufficiently undermined to allow the skin to redrape. This causes bunching in the mid abdomen and can look like swelling. Hope this helps. 

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon