Is it true that you cannot get CoolSculpting done if you have a hernia? (Photo)

How would I know if I have one and what king of doc do I see to find out? I'm looking into getting Cool Sculpting done on my stomach. However, my stomach has a strange shape about it. Instead of just the belly fat that I can pinch, it is distended from the rib cage area as well. I remember being told after my last child was born (10 years ago) that my muscles separated in that area, so I really don't know who to see to find out what would be best for me. I am 39 years old, 5'11" and 157 lbs.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
A hernia is a contrindication to coolsculpting 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

CoolSculpting not recommended for a hernia

A hernia is a contraindication to Coolsculpting, and treatment should not be performed on a person with a hernia. Diastasis recti (also known as abdominal separation) is a contraindication to Coolsculpting also.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Hair Restoration Surgeon

Is it true that you cannot get CoolSculpting done if you have a hernia?

Yes there is a contraindication to CoolSculpting your abdomen if you have a hernia. Best of luck. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Rectus diastasis

You likely have  arectus diastsis and not a hernia.  You can get Coolsculpting on a rectus diastsis but I would consult with a board certified PLASTIC surgeon to see if a tummy tuck may be better for you.  During a tummy tuck, the rectus diastsis can be repaired.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting and hernia

Coolsculpting is an excellent treatment for excessive fat, but cannot be performed over hernia and is not the treatment of muscle separation after pregnancy. You may be a candidate for other cosmetic surgery procedure (such as tummy tuck) after making sure that you do not have a hernia. We routinely repair hernia during tummy tuck. The best way know your options is to book a consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Stanley Okoro, MD

CoolSculpting in the presence of a hernia

It is correct that CoolSculpting should not be performed if you have a hernia In the region that is to be treated. If you have  a history of having undergone previous abdominal surgery, you should be examined by your physician who is going to perform CoolSculpting and may want to get clearance from the surgeon who performed your previous abdominal surgery.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cool sculpting in the presence of a hernia

Cool sculpting should not be performed over the area of a hernia. Before you consent to any type of body contouring the question as to whether a hernia is present needs to be resolved. If your plastic surgeon has any questions about the presence of hernia you should consult a general surgeon for an evaluation. The separation of muscles that you have mentioned is not uncommon after childbearing. The separation commonly occurs down the middle of the abdomen when the connection between the two vertically oriented muscles is stretched. This type of stretching is usually not associated with a hernia. It will be very important to have your consultation with a surgeon who is also trained and skilled in liposuction. You may find that liposuction is a better option to satisfy your goals. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting with hernia

You should not perform CoolSculpting if you have a hernia because it may cause a new hernia to form or worsen your already existing hernia. I would recommend that you consult with a nearby physician so that they can further study your case. 

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Not Recommended On Or Around a Hernia or Diastasis Recti

A hernia occurs when part of an internal structure bulges through a weakened area of the body cavity. Hernias are caused by a combination of structural weakness (both hereditary or secondary) and increased pressure (such as heavy lifting, straining, etc.) CoolSculpting over the area may cause new hernia formation or exacerbate pre-existing hernia, which may require surgical repair. Physicians should examine the patient for evidence of pre-existing hernia prior to use of the device.

What you have described is called diastasis recti, defined as the separation of the rectus abdominis muscles into right and left halves caused by the thinning of linea alba. This appears as a protruion or bulge in the midline of the abdomen. It is not uncommon to see this in women who have experienced multiple pregnancies due to repeated episodes of stretching the muscle. CoolSculpting is also not recommened to treat on or around diastasis recti.

Coolsculpting and Hernia

It should not be performed over a hearnia, and I suggest seeing physician for an evaluation.  Liposuction, velashape, ultrashape and liposonix can be performed in areas of a hernia.  Best, Dr. Emer.