Can Botox injections help with itching after a shingles?

I got the shingles in Sept. of 2013 . I do not have residual pain, but have severe itchting along the nerve that runs from my eyebrow back to the crown of my head. I have seen numerous doctors, I ing. I have even tried acupuncture and nothing is stopping this excruciating itch. It does not subside or go into remission. I itch everyday! Needless to say this is taking an emotional toll and I can't sleep, in spite of prescriptions, topical lotions and creams. I don't know where to turn.

Not sure if Botox will help chronic itch, though some report benefit for chronic nerve pain

I am not sure if Botox will have any benefit here although it has been reported as helpful for post-herpetic neuralgia pain.  You should check with a neurologist, to see if they know of response of chronic itching to Botox treatment, and if not they may be able to try some of the meds that can be used to treat chronic pain seen after herpetic infection, or in cases of chronic pain like in diabetic neuropathy.  They may help with chronic itch, as well..  I hope that this helps.    

Tom DeWire, MD, FACS    

Richmond, VA

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Botox injections for pain

Botox has been found to have many uses.  I am not familiar with using Botox for chronic itching.  I would definitely consult a neurologist who specializes in pain for the correct treatment options.

Schedule a consultation with a neurologist to discuss the use of Botox for this purpose. ​

Thank you for your question. Schedule a consultation with a neurologist to discuss the use of Botox for this purpose.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and Shingles

It is a know fact that many patients can benefit from Botox injections to treat Shingles Neuralgia.  As a patient you would need to find a pain management doctor or a neurologist who specializes in these types of treatments.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Botox and Shingles

This is a great question.  I FREQUENTLY do this treatment and it works amazing.  However, if patients cannot afford, combination of topical lidocaine patch and oral neurontin or lyrica and/or doxepin is very useful.  I'd suggest seeking an expert for this type of treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Can Botox injections help with itching after a shingles

Botox does help in Post Herpetic Neuralgia . You should contact a pain specialist who can look at what is best for you. 

Postherpetic Itching

Unfortunately Botox doesn't help with persistent itching after shingles (postherpetic itching). See your primary care doctor for help. Some people get relief from topical Lidocaine cream, which is a local anesthetic. Also prescribed may be Gabapentin or antihistamines. 

I know the symptoms are miserable, so I hope you find relief soon!

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Botox for persistent itching following shingles

Dear TanisJansen:

I sense your distress with your post-shingles itching. Unfortunately, Botox will not help this neuritis. 

I read in your inquiry that you have tried many options and visited many specialists. Please speak with your neruologist of using a well qualified pain specialist to try a nerve block. 

I hope you feel better soon.

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS