Can this tattoo be laser removed in 2-3 sessions? (photo)

Just want to know how many sessions approx to remove this tattoo or how many sessions to at least fade it a lot its not that big. Its my only tattoo and tattoos are not for me.

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. Several treatments are required for tattoo removal. Based on skin type, location of tattoo and the color/amount of ink are all factors that will determine how many treatments if will take. From your photo, it will take several more treatments than just 2-3 to achieve your desired results. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Laser Tattoo Removal

My preference for laser tattoo removal is with the PiQo4 laser that has 4 Pico wavelengths which helps remove 96% of ink faster and safer then older laser systems. With these advanced technologies the average number of sessions for removal is 4-6 but it does vary person to person. I have been practicing tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

2-3 to fade 4-6 for removal

This musical red tattoo appears faded and it it has present for years. Older tattoos respond better. However the colors are mainly green, yellow and red. The green color requires a 755 wavelength available on the picosure and the red ink will respond to 532 wavelength. A new 1064 wavelength for black ink will be avaialbe by September .The picosure system with all three wavelengths could lighten this tattoo in 2-3 sessions,although complete removal will require four or more sessions. 

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

How many sessions- Laser Tattoo removal

Thank you for your question. The size of the tattoo does not determine the number of treatments. This would depend on type of ink, color and your Fitzpatrick. Generally all tattoos take 5-6 sessions to remove. Speak with your laser technician about your treatment plan.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD 

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Can this tattoo be removed in 2-3 treatments?

Hello, thank you for your question.  I would not tell you that any tattoo can be removed in 2-3 treatments.  Because of the rainbow of colors that you have in your tattoo, it may not be possible to rid your skin of all colors. Your body also plays a part in ridding the skin of ink. The laser shatters the ink into tiny particles that your body absorbs. The latest technology is the pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink. With this new technology, the number of treatments should be about half as many as the traditional Q-switch devices, but I would still say possibly 6-10 treatments. You can check in your area to see if the Pico technology is available by clicking on the attached web reference. Just put in your zip code in the "find a provider" section of the website.  You can also view a video of the PicoWay laser in action attached.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal

This is a complex tattoo because of the multiple colors. Yellow and pink are particular hard to remove. Plan on about 10 treatments to get much better, maybe about 5-6 with a Pico laser.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Tattoo removal planning

Thanks for your question. Tattoo size does not impact the number of sessions needed for removal. You would likely need minimum 6 sessions assuming a laser with high peak power was used. 
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician