Is there anything other than desensitizing massage that I can do to lessen nerve pain after periareolar lift and BA?

I am 3 weeks post op. I had 700cc uhp under the muscle and a periaureolar lift. Over the past week, my skin all over my breasts has become so hypersensitive that I can barely stand to wear clothes at all and sleeping is quite difficult. My actual nipples have little to no sensation but the rest of my breasts feel like they are on fire. I've been trying to do massage to desensitize as much as possible. Is there anything else that will help? How long will this last? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ways To Decrease Nerve Pain After Surgery

Thank you for your question. With regards to nerve pain after an areola lift + breast augmentation, in addition to the desensitized massage that you described, there are actual medications that can be prescribed to specifically target neuropathic pain such as Neurontin or Lyrica. I would discuss the different options with your plastic surgeon. I would also recommend that you stay in close follow up with your surgeon to ensure that this is simply neuropathic pain and not a sign or symptom of something more serious. Best of luck to you!

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. Its too early to talk about results.In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your nerve pain after surgery.  After an augmentation the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and the increased volume of the implants.  This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different nipple and breast skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling.  These normally resolve spontaneously given enough time, but with the severity of symptoms you may want to discuss a nerve pain medication with your operative surgeon, such as Lyrica or Neurontin.  You will likely only need a short course of treatment but it may alleviate your symptoms in the interim.

Nerve Pain after periareolar lift and BA

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry for your discomfort. You might try ibuprofen 600 milligrams 3 times a day for every 6 hours, with food. There's lidocaine patches you can use but that would require a prescription from your board-certified plastic surgeon.

Dell Smith, MD
Twin Falls Plastic Surgeon