2 weeks after Lipo, is my compression garment making my swelling worse? Should I switch to a different one? (photos)

My compression garment is similar to a postpartum belt, with a layer of foam underneath. It seems like this pushes all of the swelling to my lower abdomen and flanks and looks like I had nothing. I know it isn't fat bc I had pictures taken the next day and I had the procedure 10/21 so I haven't had the time to make that much fat. My lower abdomen feels firm but can be pressed flat. Would it be okay or helpful to switch to a different garment, maybe something more like spanx or a waist trainer?

Waist wrap not doing its job after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction compression garment.

You should check with your own surgeon of course but my preference after liposuction is for jumpsuits and girdles for the exactly the reason you describe - binders don't seem to do as well. Spanx should be fine at 2 weeks.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Compression Garment Change

Thanks you for the question

Definitely you need to see your Surgeon and talk about the options you have about change to another Garment.

Regards....

Disnalda Matos, MD

Switching compression garments

These are all questions you should bring up with your doctor.

I suggest setting up an in person follow-up visit.

It's certainly possible to gain a substantial amount no wait even within a few days.

If you're eating more than normal then you may be getting weight.

Arias outside of where the pressure of garment is having contact may appear enlarged wall where the garment.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Compression garment woes--Contact Doctor and Add Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra, Cellutone to aftercare

I would follow up with your Dr. about your compression garment to see if they offer alternatives. I also recommend adding RF treatments externally like venus legacy, exilis ultra, Vanquish, shock/vibration therapy like Cellutone/z wave, hyperbaric oxygen and compression in order to decrease swelling and improve results. Best, Dr. Emer

2 weeks after Lipo, is my compression garment making my swelling worse? Should I switch to a different one?

As long as you are wearing some type of compression garment that covers the treated area, and is ok'd by your surgeon then it should be fine. Swelling post liposuction is inevitable and will last 6 months to a year to be completely resolved. It is normal to feel a little lumpy and firm. Talk to your surgeon about methods of speeding up this such as massage or radio frequency treatments. You are just going to have to be patient with your body as it recovers. Keep in mind that you need to be active and moving around, but do not be surprised if you are more swollen at the end of the day then you are in the morning when you first get up. It is just gravity. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon