I'm a 20 year-old boy suffering from hair loss. I've tried minoxidil and vitamins with no results. What else can I do?

i'm 21 yr old boy suffering from hairloss..... since 18 i was suffering from excessive hairfall.Even my family are bald(but they suffored after 45 yrs) nearly 100-200 hair will fall daily, i am using minoxidil 10% from 1.5yrs but results was not good. i have tried all vitamine,biotine medicine for years but still condition is not good. while comb also 5 to 10 hair will fall off. Sir pls help me....

Consult a Hair Surgeon

Hello Robithp199, It's hard to say exactly what is causing your excessive hair loss without performing a few specific tests. However, as Dr. Umar points out, it is possible you are experiencing pattern baldness. You may refer to images of the "Norwood Classification" to see if you are experiencing the typical progression of pattern baldness. Before making any kind of treatment decisions, it's highly recommended that you consult a licensed medical professional in person.

Miami Dermatologist

Hair loss -21 M

It's important to keep in mind that there are many causes of hair loss. 

In a 21 year old male, the most likely cause if your hair loss (by far) is early onset male pattern balding. 

However persistent hair shedding from excessive seborrheic dermatitis, low iron, poor diet and medications, smoking can also contribute. Other causes are also possible

The key message is that there are many types of hair loss and it is not possible to diagnose without a photo. 95 % of hair loss in a 21 year old is androgenetic hair loss - so one will likely guess right by choosing genetic hair loss

FDA approved treatments for genetic hair loss in men are minoxidil and finasteride. Low level laser and Platelet rich plasma can also be tried. Speak to a hair loss physician about a proper diagnosis and options for treatment. 

Re: Addressing Hair Loss in 20 Year Old

Based on the information you provided about your family history, there is a very good chance that you are experiencing the effects of pattern baldness. However, family history is not always the most reliable indicator of this condition.

Therefore, it would certainly help to get a formal diagnosis from a physician. This would rule out other possible factors such as thyroid disorders (overactive or underactive), the side effects of prescription medications, or even telogen effluvium. Telogen effluvium is related to physiological stress which causes hair to enter the resting phase much sooner.

A doctor may even recommend the use of Finateride, or provide other recommendations for slowing down the rate of hair loss (e.g. sun protection, medically supervised iron supplementation etc.)
The course of your treatment would depend on first clarifying the cause. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon