How long after getting breast implants do I need to wait before leaving the house to shop and do my normal things?

I shop a lot and I got breast implants three days ago. Am I able to leave home yet to do my normal shopping routine?

Getting back to normal routine after breast augmentation.

Hello, I would recommend asking your PS before resuming any significant activities or exercises since they know how you are healing.  Generally most of my patients are doing most of their activities of daily living within one week of surgery, but gradually returning to full activities and sports by about 6 weeks postop.

3 Days after breast augmentation

Yes, you can defintely go out and drive 3 days after breast augmentation, but you should be careful not to exert yourself.  Continue wearing your support bra.

Recovery after breast augmentation

Plastic surgeons have different post-op instructions following breast augmentation.  I encourage my patients to begin doing normal daily activity as soon as they are able to, that includes leaving the house.  If you need to drive, you should be off pain meds and be able to do the movements necessary to be safe.  This may take a few days.  You should check with your plastic surgeon on what he or she advises.

David S. Chang, MD

When can I go shopping after breast implants?

It is always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I advise my patients that it might be possible to drive as early as the third day after surgery if they are not taking any narcotics. Also, patients who have children can lift them the third day after surgery to transfer them to high chair, car seat or crib. In general, you should not have sex or other activities that might raise your blood pressure or heart rate and increase the chance of bleeding or hematoma for a week. Unless you get overly excited from shopping, I suspect that at this time it would be okay for you to go shopping. Have fun, and a speedy recovery. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Out and about 3 days after breast augmentation?

Hi Paris Vuitton,

Thank you for your questions.  I can't speak for your surgeon, however my typical patient feels reasonably well after 2-3 days (not taking any narcotic pain meds except at night for sleep), and I've had the occasional patient ask me if it's ok to go out to dinner the day of their procedure - that is completely fine as long as you aren't too physically active.   Going shopping 3 days after your procedure should be fine as long as you don't overdo it by staying on your feet too long, carrying heavy bags, etc.

Most patients do reasonable well returning to work or social activity 2-3 days after their augmentation, as long as their work is not physically demanding, you take it easy, and don't do anything overly strenuous. Many of my patients have returned to a desk-type job on Monday or Tuesday after a breast augmentation on Thursday or Friday. I recommend taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen for soreness and icing frequently. 

Usually my patients can be back to light, lower body, non-impact exercise (stationary bike or legs-only eliptical) within 10 days to 2 weeks after your breast augmentation and back to the same level of activity and exercise you were doing on the day before your procedure by 4-5 weeks after. If you have further questions, I would encourage you discuss this further with your plastic surgeon to explore your options and post-procedure activity limitations.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Activity

Thank you for the question and every surgeon has his own post op protocol so I would check with yours.  That said if you are off pain medications and not doing any heavy lifting or straining you should be able to drive and shop but don't over do it.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Shopping after breast augmentation surgery...

The recovery experience after breast augmentation surgery will vary  widely from one patient to another. There are no absolute rules when it comes to leading the house for shopping after breast augmentation surgery.  Much will depend on how you are feeling;  obviously, you will want to  emphasize safety and avoidance of overactivity (such as heavy lifting…).   My suggestion, if you feel up to leaving the house,  do so with a family member or friend, who can help you with driving/lifting etc.