How short should fue donor hair be?

hi.how short should fue donor hair be?I had eyebrow transplantation which i want to be removed. I was told that it is possible with fue extraction.I was wandering is there a way to differ my eyebrow hair from transplanted hair during surgery?

Length of FUE Hair

For my FUE procedures I like the hair to be a number 0 clip on the clippers.  Sometimes I go a little bit shorter.  It also depends on how straight the patients donor hair is.  But usually the length is 1-2mm.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

1mm

Usually FUE hairs are about 1mm to 2mm.  Sometimes longer depending on the preference of the surgeon.  In general FUE extraction of eyebrow hair is NOT recommended because FUE extraction will leave a scar.

I stress this again:  FUE extraction of your eyebrow hair WILL LEAVE A SCAR.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE for eyebrow hair

We generally do this with either a strip surgery with long hair, or a long haired FUE. To do this right, you have to align the hair angle in the proper direction so that the hair grows flush against the skin. A very short hair from an FUE with a 1 mm shaved hair graft, would not show the hair direction.  That means that the ideal direction would not be certain., so I prefer a very small strip surgery. See the web reference below for a more extensive discussion which I wrote for one of my other websites. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How Short before FUE Harvesting

Hair transplant surgeon needs to be able to see the angle and curvature of your hair in order to properly aim and harvest them.  I usually trim it to 1mm length but I can go as long as 3mm too if I have to.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Removing hair transplants

Hair transplants can be removed with electrolysis. Laser hair removal works for large areas and is not as precise as electrolysis and not suitable for eyebrow hair transplant removal.

Gregory Herbich, MD
Honolulu Dermatologist