CoolSculpting versus Liposonix?

What are your opinions on the results of Coolsculpting versus Liposonix? I'm not overweight (BMI 20), and work out regularly, but can't lose a pocket of fat on my lower abdomen. I can't afford to spend thousands on something that doesn't work. Also, does Liposonix result in permanent fat removal?

CoolSculpting vs ultrasound, laser, radio-frequency, heat and other non-surgical fat reducers

Dear MelbourneMama:Congrats on such a great BMI!  Non-Surgical Body Fat reduction is based on the transfer of energy across the skin into the fat to selectively destroy or fatally alter fat cells. These energy devices since the creation of them some 20 years ago have been mostly disappointing. Their down fall is that they: 
  1. hurt too much or injure the skin to accomplish their goals or 
  2. they do not deliver the energy required due to the patient's inability to tolerate the pain.
The energy's used are:
  1. laser ie focused light waves (eg. Sculpsure)
  2. ultrasound ie focused sound waves (eg. Liposonix)
  3. radio-frequency (eg. ThermiSMOOTH)
  4. direct heat
  5. cooling (eg. CoolSculpting)
Other than CoolSculpting, the others depend on heat. CoolSculpting is tried and true. It cools the fat to a non-frozen temperature that it selectively turns off the cells ability to function and dies (apoptosis). Other than Zerona, a laser device which as fallen from use, the injured cells from the above die and do not come back. That is not to say that ALL the cells die so those remaining and those distant from the machines "reach" remain active and able to absorb redistributed calories to become bigger. Cost is an issue due to the expense to purchase these machines, the on-going costs of supplies, maintenance and training of personnel. Good luck in your quest to find the "perfect" option for yourself. I wish you the best. 

Best Treatment for my stubborn fat?

Dear MelbourneMama,Thank you for your question. Both CoolSculpting and Liposonix are effective at selective fat reduction in an intended treatment area. Both result in permanent fat removal but accomplish this via different modalities; CoolSculpting using cold (freezing) whereas Liposonix uses heat via focused ultrasound waves. The best way for you to know which is best for you is to seek consultation with a professional who is adept at fat reduction procedures (invasive and non-invasive) to gain greater understanding of which would be a better fit for you and your desired outcome. This is best accomplished with an actual examination/discussion and not with pictures or descriptions.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Two different technologies

Thanks for the great question. In order to give you the best information possible, I need to tell you a little bit about the two technologies because they are totally different. Liposonix uses high intensity focuses ultrasound. This technology works by causing the fat cells to heat up and thus eventually kills some of the fat cells. Coolsculpting is the complete opposite, it works through cryolipolysis where the fat cells are cooled down to a freezing point which causes them to be damaged and reabsorbed by the body. There are a lot of machines which use heat (either through ultrasound or radiofrequency). Coolsculpting is the only technology which is able to freeze the fat. There are no studies that I know of to date comparing the two technologies in terms of efficacy. In my opinion, coolsculpting is able to more reliably and predictably cause a loss in fat compared to other technologies. It might be best to go see someone with each technology for evaluation and to look and their before and after photos. Best of luck in your area!~Dr. Sieber

Coolsculpting or Liposonix

Thank you for your question. Both liposonix and coolsculpting will work to reduce fat, however they work using different modalities. Coolsculpting is using cold and Liposonix is using ultrasound via heat for fat reduction. I feel that a consult with a licensed professional is the way to go to see which treat is best suited for you and your desired outcome.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting versus Liposonix?

Thank you for your question. The treatment for you would depend on your current body and your goals. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a candidate. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting vs liposuction

CoolSculpting may be an effective alternative from liposuction for some patients. Every patient is different and your treatment plan will be customized to fit your needs. Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your geographical area and schedule an evaluation to determine what options would best address your specific concerns. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon