Breast feeding and laser hair removal - should I go ahead? Thanks

I have not done it yet.

Laser Hair Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to laser hair removal. It is not recommended to have elective cosmetic treatments done while pregnant, although LHR should not have an affect when breastfeeding. Although, due to pregnancy and a recent birth, hormonal changes have occurred and can have an impact on the growth cycle of your hairs. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Laser Hair Removal and Breastfeeding

There is absolutely no harm to the breast milk from laser hair removal. I recommend seeing an expert in laser hair removal for best results. Best, Dr. Emer

Breast feeding and LHR

It is fine to do this. There is absolutely no risk to the baby having laser hair removal. It shouldn't be done during pregnancy however.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Laser hair removal

Laser hair removal is simply light energy which is targeted to the root of the hair follicles.  There is no effect on other parts of the body nor does anything enter the bloodstream.  So, yes, it is safe to have laser hair removal while you are breast feeding.  If you have recently given birth, though, your hair may be affected by hormonal changes and you may want to wait until your hormones settle down a bit, 3-6 months, to get the best possible results.  Good luck and congrats on the baby!

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon