How soon after Breast Augmentation may I resume taking fish oil and other questionable supplements?

I was about to start taking fish oil and other supplements which are recommended to stop taking 2 weeks prior to surgery, so my question is: Once I have my BA how soon can I resume taking these supplements? Thanks

Supplements

I would suggest you should be fine to restart them at two weeks but check with your surgeon .
Cheers
Terrence Scamp

Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Fish oil prior to breast augmentation

Fish oils can interfere with your blood clotting during surgery.  I recommend my patients stop the fish oil at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and for a couple of weeks following surgery. Each surgeon has his/her protocols, and I recommend you follow the protocol of the surgeon you selected to operate on you.

Trey Aquadro, M.D.
Auburn, AL

Ask your surgeon

Before taking anything, please speak to your surgeon. They should know if it’s safe for you to do so, since they know your medical history and the medications you may be taking right now. There expertise is the only way you can be sure when it’s safe for you to start taking your supplements.

Supplements and surgery

The list of products that 'could' affect your clotting seems endless.  Good meticulous technique is much more important that stopping all these supplements.  But rest assured, if you bleed while taking something, your surgeon will 'blame' it since we inherently look for causes outside of ourselves... because it would make us mortal.  Obvious things to stop are aspirin and anti-inflammatories and any prescription medications designed to impact your ability to clot.  Beyond that, its speculation and trying to be as careful as one can when the future cannot be predicted.  But do neurosurgeons demand the same restrictions that plastic surgeons have embraced?  I am not as compulsive about supplements and I don't think I've experienced any higher bleeding rate than what is published.

Curtis Wong, MD

Fish oil supplement

Most supplements should be avoided for the same lengths of time before and after surgery, but it is best to check with your own surgeon about this. This product can interfere with normal blood clotting, and by two weeks that is seldom an issue.

All the best.

Fish oil and supplements

I recommend to my patients to stop taking fish oil and other supplements that thin the blood 2 weeks prior to surgery through 2 weeks after surgery. This way we can have good healing and less chance of bleeding. You might want to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Ask your surgeon when you may resume taking oral supplements after breast augmentation.

Taking fish oil and other oral supplement rubbish is something that you should discuss with your own plastic surgeon.

Fish oil supplements

Every physician is different in their post operative instructions; however generally speaking you are able to resume taking fish oil supplements 2 weeks post surgery, providing you have had no complications in your recovery.

Kourosh Tavakoli, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Supplements for surgery

Omega 3 fats (e.g. fish oil, EFA, flax seed oil, Krill oil), NSAID's (aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn), Vitamin E, "blood thinners" and a whole host of supplements and medicines can cause excessive bleeding and bruising and therefore increase your recovery time. When in doubt stay away from supplements unless they are designed for surgery. I offer to my patients specific supplements that speed healing, reduce swelling, bruising and in some cases minimize discomfort (for example Bromelain, Arnica Montanum, and Vitamins designed for surgery.

Bottom Line: Certain vitamins and minerals can speed healing others can cause problems and slow the process down or cause complications. If healing is going well I usually let my patients go back to their usual regimen of supplements

Check with your doctor as only your doctor would have access to your medical history and what would be best for you. We typically allow our patients to continue their supplements 10 days post op if their recovery is going well.

Each surgeon has their own post operative guidelines. I recommend patients stop taking fish oils\supplements two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. You should address this question with your plastic surgeon.