Is it safe to take these herbs/supplements prior to Breast Augmentation?

Hi there, Is it safe to continue taking these supplements: Echinacea, Garlic, Olive leaf extract, zinc and vitamin C? I have my BA booked in 15 days and my PS isn't familiar with a few of them. If I need to stop taking them, when should I do so? As I am taking these supplements due to my sudden reduced immunity to everything going around this Winter here in Australia, can you recommend anything I can safely take until I have my BA to help boost my immunity? Thanks

C and Zinc

Hello there
You can keep the C and Zinc going but stop the rest two weeks before surgery and stay off them for two weeks after .
Cheers
TS

Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Taking vitamins and supplements before breast augmentation surgery

I would usually recommend that you stop taking any supplements two weeks prior to your procedure.  While there is usually no concerns, some supplements and medications can cause complications especially during your post operative recovery. At your post operative review, usually a week after your surgery, you can discuss recommencing taking your supplements.

Herbs

Thanks for you question. 
I ask my patients to stop all herbal supplements atleast 2 weeks prior to surgery. In addition they need to discontinue fish oil or similar supplements. 
Many of these products may increase your risk of bleeding. 
I suggest you eat a well balanced healthy diet and you should get all the vitiamins and nutrients your body needs. 
Kind regards 
Vij Vijayasekaran 

Herbs before surgery

You may continue with vitamin C and zinc, but do stop Echinacea, garlic and olive leaf now.  I don't suggest taking Echinacea, except only on an as-needed, or when you are ill, basis. If you have any doubt, don't take the supplement 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks after surgery.  Also exercise before surgery is helpful to maximize your oxygen level and increase circulation.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Usually these instructions should be given by your chosen PS. If you're taking vitamin C,E-- you need to discontinue 2 wks prior

Supplements for surgery

Omega 3 fats (e.g. fish oil, EFA, flax seed oil, Krill oil), NSAID's (aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn), Vitamin E, "blood thinners" and a whole host of supplements and medicines can cause excessive bleeding and bruising and therefore increase your recovery time. When in doubt stay away from supplements unless they are designed for surgery. I offer to my patients specific supplements that speed healing, reduce swelling, bruising and in some cases minimize discomfort (for example Bromelain, Arnica Montanum, and Vitamins designed for surgery.

Bottom Line: Certain vitamins and minerals can speed healing others can cause problems and slow the process down or cause complications. If healing is going well I usually let my patients go back to their usual regimen of supplements

Check with your doctor as only your doctor would have access to your medical history and what would be best for you. We typically allow our patients to continue their supplements 10 days post op if their recovery is going well.

Each plastic surgeon has their own pre operative guidelines they prefer. You can continue to take the vit C and zinc but stop the rest two weeks before surgery and two weeks after. You should address this question with your plastic surgeon.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Stop taking ineffectual oral supplements two weeks prior to breast augmentation.

Most of the junk your taking doesn't have any significant effect. There are a few supplements that can increase the risk of bleeding. Best to quit taking supplements two weeks prior to surgery.