Botox after care?

What are the true after care instructions with Botox? why can't you lay your head down and no exercise?

Botox After Care Instructions

The only after care is not to exercise or get your heart rate above 100 for the first 90 minutes. After that you are able to do anything you want.There are a lot of myths about not lying down and not exercising for a couple of days.

Botox Aftercare

We all have a little different aftercare for the Botox injections. We do like our patient to stay upright for 4 hours after the treatment. This is  still in  the Botox insert. It is felt to keep the product from migrating.
We do ask you to move the muscles a few times after the treatment during the first hour. to be honest the patient probably does this a couple of times before they forget. 
To me the most important  things to do  is NOT to massage the treated areas. The doctor  may do a slight massage in certain areas...just let us do the massage. In addition I do not want the patient to do any physical exercise  the rest of the day after the treatment. i don't want the product to migrate or spread.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Aftercare

Each Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist may have different post injection protocols.  We do not have patients activate or exercise their facial muscles any more.  We do not want them to massage the treated areas, or do any vigorous exercise for 24 hours after the injection.  The risk is that the Botox could migrate or spread from the injection site, so anything that can reduce the spread for the first 24 hours or so is a good idea.

Best!

Dr Bengtson

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Laying down after Botox

Thank you for this question.  I would say that chances are you will be fine to lay down after Botox.  However, the reason most people will say don't lay down for four hours afterwards is to minimize the chance of the product spreading.  I tend to use a very concentrated form of Botox and Dysport to minimze the change of spreading.  I tend to emphasize to may patients to avoid things that will make them hot or sweaty such as strenuous activity, hot tubs, saunas, sun bathing, alcohol, etc.. to minimize the change of bruising.

Botox Aftercare

I have never restricted my patients from dong anything after botox and nothing bad has ever happened.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox after care

I find all the Botox after care protocols amusing.  I tell my patients that there are no restrictions after Botox because if one understands the pharmacokinetics of the product, they would not worry about reclining, exercising, taking a shower, wearing make-up, etc.  The complications related to Botox are almost exclusively due to poor injection technique and not to post-treatment activities.  I wouldn't advise running a marathon but a "normal" work-out is not a problem. After injection, Botox doesn't spread much from the injected area.  If it did then why does it take multiple injections into very small muscles to have an effect?  If it spread a lot, wouldn't one injection into the forehead take care of all the wrinkles there?  Everyone worries about the eyelid droop which is a true phenomenon but caused by injecting too low into the brow area above the eyelid where some of the Botox diffuses into the levator muscle of the upper lid.  So how does it follow that lying down is bad when in fact standing up should cause more gravitational drift into the upper eyelid?  Go ahead and lie down or go to the gym after Botox and you'll see that everything will be fine (provided you've been injected properly).

Gregory Pastrick, MD
Kingsport Plastic Surgeon

Botox do's and don'ts

For about 4 hours after Botox, this is what I tell my patients:
  1. No hot tubs or saunas
  2. No exercising
  3. Do not rub area
  4. Don't wear a hat if forhead injected
  5. Don't get a massage where you head is in a doughnut
  6. It might be beneficial to move the muscles more vigorously than normal in the ones you are trying to affect
After that, no restrictions.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Aftercare for Botox

Thanks for your question! You don't want the Botox to move around to areas where it wasn't injected, so avoid reclining for 4 hours and don't massage the area.  Avoid exercise for the same reasons. After the first 24 hours I tell my patients they have no restrictions as the Botox should be absorbed by then.  

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox after care?

Thank you for your question.  After Botox, I recommend for all my patients to try not to exercise or bend over for 4 hours after to prevent spreading of the Botox.  A gel pack applied to the site after the injection will help with the swelling.  Make sure you go to an expert Board Certified Physcian for your injection. best wishes

Botox Aftercare

The most important item after Botox is not to massage the area. It is also important not to lie flat for at least 4 hours and not to lift heavy items the rest of the day

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist