Will areola reduction make breasts look a little perkier? (photos)

I am a 36DD and my breasts droop, but not excessively. I also have very large areola, which have gotten bigger as my breasts have grown. When I'm cold, however, my nipples become erect and the areola shrink to quick a small size. This gives my breasts the perfect shape and they no longer look droopy at all. I wonder if an areola reduction would give that effect permanently? Thank you in advance for your help.

Will areola r reduction make my breasts perkier?

Thank you for your question.  What you are asking for is a areolar reduction and lift and these two procedures together will allow your breasts to look better but it comes at a cost which is more scarring on your breasts.  What you have not disclosed is how old are you, have you had children or nursed or gained or lost weight?  Each of these issues will influence the long term look of your breasts.  You need to discuss this with a board certified surgeon who can guide you through this decision.  When your breasts get cold the shrinkage and projection are normal but doing an areolar reduction may not give you the result  you want.  Areolar reductions tend to stretch out over time and may flatten the breast rather than make it look "perky".  Your breasts will require a vertical or anchor scar to help them look perky. 

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Areolar Reduction

I am surprised that areolar contraction alone gives you the shape you want.  A picture of the breast with the areola contracted would be helpful.  As previously stated, an areolar reduction alone will  give little to no actual breast lift and can actually flatten the breast slightly. A properly done mastopexy, with whatever degree of areolar reduction you desire, is probably your best option.

Areolar reduction is an option

Thanks for your question and the photos. I think that if you combined the areolar reduction with a lift, it would give you what you want. You appear to have great density to your breast tissue and by releasing the lateral portion of the breast it could be recruited centrally to enhance the shape. This would be done with the lollipop closure and thus would reduce the risk of areolar widening that is common with the circumareolar/Benneli approach. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Will areola reduction make breasts look a little perkier?

Areola reduction resizes the areola, it is not a real breast lift. I doubt you will get the look you want with that operation. I do a lot of areola reduction procedures, but only in combination with implants, otherwise the front of the breast can appear flattened. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Benelli lift

not everyone loves this operation so when you're consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon try to find someone that offers it as an option.  In your case, in my opinion, it will be a long run for a short gain.  In other words It's going to be a lot of surgery and not a significant improvement. This really need a personal consultation. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon