Repair of male diastasis recti above navel?

I am a male with a protruding diastasis recti immediately ABOVE my navel. Can this be repaired laparoscopically? I consulted with a surgeon who recommended a tummy tuck and said this is the only way to fix the diastasis recti. I wasn't planning on getting a TT, but if that lower abdomen incision must be made to fix the DR, I might as well get the TT done too. Thanks

Diastasis recti above navel in Melbourne, FL.

Thank you for your question about diastasis recti above the navel.  This absolutely has to be resolved via an in-person exam and discussion with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  It is possible that what you are describing may be a hernia rather than diastasis recti and therefore, that would need to be determined first.  Your surgeon can help determine the ultimate diagnosis and then recommend a treatment.  I hope this is helpful to you.  Best of luck!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Minimally Invasive Tummy Tuck

Yes! And you are absolutely on the right track. 

Most men have an upper abdominal diastasis and look barrel or rounded. I have had excellent success in men with Robotically-assisted Laparoscopic Diastasis closure. They lose a good 3 inches around.

It involves 3 scars, 8mm each, on your left side. Since most men don't have extra skin (like postpartum women), this is the perfect procedure. There is no bunching upnof skin in the mid abdomen. And you won't need a formal Tummy Tuck with large scar. 

Shirin Towfigh, MD
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Minimally Invasive Tummy Tuck

Shirin Towfigh, MD
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Problem with Redraping Skin

Dear Junigatsu, Although the muscle can be repaired laparoscopically, the problem is you are not going to be able to redrape the skin properly, and you will have bunching of the skin in the midline. That is the reason why the tummy tuck is necessary to elevate this widely in order to redrape the skin smoothly. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Problem with Redraping Skin

Male diastasis recti repair

Thank you for your question.Yes, this can be repaired laparoscopically if it is performed by an expert general surgeon. If you are getting a tummy tuck, I would recommend having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can repair the diastasis recti easily and precisely during the tummy tuck. I hope this helps.
Good luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Male diastasis recti repair

Good luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery

Thank you for your question.  My advice on how to treat your diastasis recti would be best given after a face-to-face consultation.  There are different options to be discussed based on examination and full discussion.  Typically a tummy tuck would be the way to go to get you the best result. 

Male with diastasis

Tightening of the linea alba to eliminate the diastasis can be performed either laparoscopically or during an open procedure. The laparoscopic procedure is preferred if you have tight skin over your abdomen and the open procedure is preferred if skin removal will give you a better outcome.

Male with diastasis

Male diastasis

hmm, a very interesting and challenging question and one with limited alternatives. I would not suggest dull tummy tuck , but would look for a plastic surgeon in your area , and Atlanta has a number of very good board certified plastic surgeons. One could make a short vertical incision and repair it openly, but the trade would be a scar. Do some research in your area and choose wisely. Good luck.

Male diastasis

Diastasis recti

Ad long as you do not have a large amount of fullness intra-abdominally then repair of the diastasis could be performed via laparoscopic approach or with TT. My feeling is you will achieve a better result with a full abdominoplasty. Talk with your board certified as mastic surgeon

Diastasis recti

Diastasis

It has been described to repair it endoscopically or even open through a periumbilical incision. An inperson exam would tell best whether or not this would be a good or the best option for you.

Diastasis