How long after surgery can I be out in the sun for long periods of time?

Planning on doing my surgery this month w/plans to go to a 3 day concert at the beach exactly 2 weeks after. I don't plan on doing any swimming/jumping around but was wondering if I can be out in the sun for that long? I will wear supporting halter/sports bra looking bathing suit tops to avoid direct sunlight to the incision and LOTS of sunscreen. Would this still be okay? Height: 5'3 Weight: 123 Current Size: 32B Implant: 325c, silicone, moderate-plus, inframammary Incision, under the muscle

Protect the incisions from the sun

Ultraviolet light, whether from the tanning bed or the sun at the beach, can make a scar redder for a longer period of time. I tell my patients not to go tanning until three weeks post surgery and not to swim until that time, either, so that the incision is healed and water won't penetrate it and cause an infection. If you use a strong sunscreen and stayed covered during the heat of the day, you should be fine. Enjoy the concert.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

The incisions for breast augmentation should be protected from the sun until remodeling is complete.

Son is not good for your skin but for the most part you can return to the beach anytime after breast augmentation. The incision itself however should be protected from ultraviolet light until there is no further color in the incision. This will be a number of months.

Sun exposure

You should avoid exposing scars to the sun for the first 6 months in order to avoid hyperpigmentation. Use a strong sunblock for the first few months if you have to be exposed to the sun.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Sun exposure 2 weeks after surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• To avoid skin and scar discoloration and redness, you need complete block of sun to the breast.
  • Ask your surgeon her/his recommendations on the best way(s) to do this.
  • I recommend to my patients a Zinc-titanium dioxide sun block and black, lined bathing suit tops.
  • Staying out of the sun between 10 am and 2 pm will help as well.
  • And please stay sober and stay safe!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question. Although direct and extended sun exposure is not recommended, it is important to note that your scars in particular should be well protected for at least a year to prevent them staying redder or darker for a longer period of time. An SPF of 60 is generally recommended and good coverage of your bathing suit will help as well. Best of Luck!

Dr. K.

Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Sun exposure post operative

It is recommended to keep the breasts and importantly the incisions out of the sun - otherwise I do not see any issues. Ensure you wear lots of sunscreen and ensure the breasts are supported.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Sun exposure

Sun exposure in general is not good for the skin.  Putting sunblock on is a good idea and keep the incisions covered. Enjoy.

Sun exposure after surgery

Being in the sun with the use of a physical block sunscreen should be ok.  Make sure you reapply it every few hours.  You may want to wear a t-shirt during prime sun hours as well.  

Camille Cash, MD

Sun exposure after surgery

It would be best not to expose the breasts themselves to the sun for extended periods of time for 3 months after surgery. Your plan with the sunscreen sounds like a good one.

Sun exposure

Thank you for your question.  As long as you keep the incisions well protected from direct sunlight, use plenty of sunscreen and continue to keep the incisions as dry as possible, I see no reason why you cannot attend the concert.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD