Will my scoliosis affect my breast augmentation? (photo)

I'm in my mid 20's and I have scoliosis. My breasts are the same size, however, my ribcage is uneven and the shape of my breasts are a little uneven. I also have a large space between my breasts. Will breast implants make this worse?

Breast augmentation and scoliosis

Asymmetries between the breasts are common. Sometimes there is asymmetry in the chest wall as well. Although they don't adversely affect a breast augmentation, implants can make these asymmetries appear more prominent. Your breasts are farther apart on your chest wall. Implants will not correct this and your implants will appear a bit wide as well. This is particularly true if the implants are placed under the muscle. If the plan is to place the implants on top of the muscle and provide more cleavage, care must be taken to avoid symmastia - a communication between the implant spaces which leads to a "uni-boob" deformity. A detailed conversation with your plastic surgeon should address all of these issues prior to surgery.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hi. Chest wall asymmetries are more common than you think. I've taken care of many patients with scoliosis, pectus carinatum (pigeon chest)  and pectus excavatum (sunken chest). There is no doubt that despite these chest deformities, a breast augmentation will improve your self esteem and in May cases the focus will now be a fuller breast rather than the chest wall defect. Good luck.  Dr. PG

Scoliosis can effect results

The shape of the chest wall as well as the breast varies greatly from women to women and even from breast to breast.  Augmentation can still be done in your case. It would help you in making your decision to see photos of women that look like you now and how they looked after augmentation. Be sure your doctor has taken care of patients that have a similar appearance to you. An experienced Plastic Surgeon can help you understand what you can expect from your augmentation. Good luck

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scoliosis can affect breast augmentation

Ribcage asymmetries can definitely affect implant surgery. The right implants can improve the look of widely spaced or asymmetric breasts, but the wrong implant shape or size (or implants placed in the wrong spot on the chest) can actually make things worse. I would see a few people in consultation and choose a modest sized implant to help get the best result.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Body Type

Greetings. The changes that you describe could affect the appearance. However, you should definitely seek out a plastic surgeon for consultation and examination to get an idea of what can be done realistically. Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Will my scoliosis affect my breast augmentation?

In complex chest wall asymmetry cases ALWAYS best to seek ONLY IN PERSON examinations/opinions. This is a case that meets that criteria. 

Scoliosis and breast augmentation

Everyone has some asymmetry, and implants can exaggerate the differences. Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Breast augmentation and scoliosis

Thank you for your question on posting an appropriate picture. There are special considerations to be made in the selection of your implants and implementation of The procedure in your case.I would recommend having a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs many breast augmentations experience the patient's chest as yourself. Look at before-and-after pictures of patients similar to you with the postoperative desired outcome. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Experience counts in this situation

A surgeon with experience and skill dealing with patients with asymmetry of the chest wall should be able to give you an excellent result.

Chest Wall and Breast Footprint

Breast asymmetry is a very common thing to have. Chest wall asymmetry (how your rib cage develops) is also just as common and commonly overlooked. Having both can have an impact on your end result. There are certain things that about the breast that can be improved with breast augmentation surgery such as the size and shape. However, some asymmetries are difficult to correct. One problem is the separation between the breast or the breast footprint. An implant can add medial fullness but an implant placed too medial can also displace the nipples laterally especially when the nipples are centered or slightly lateral (off to the side) to begin with. This can make the separation look worse and deeper because the breasts are now bigger. These issues should be thoroughly discussed with your PS during your consultation. Best of luck.

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon