African American woman seeking rhinoplasty for pig like nose? (Photo)

For starters, I completely hate how my nose sits on my face. I feel its short, too bulbous, I have little to no bridge definition, my nostrils are large and upturned. I've often been called Miss Piggy. Especially seeing that I have chubby cheeks. When I smile it becomes very wide. From my side profile my nose is the largest thing on my face. I'm hoping to achieve a drastic change.. not that I wish to look less AA, but that my nose looks more defined. I'm just tired of being compared to an animal.

Open rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards

African American Rhinoplasty

The best way to visualize potential results from a rhinoplasty is get computer imaging performed by several surgeons that perform African American Rhinoplasty. You should also look at the surgeons and before and afters and try to find one that has results you really like. Its imperitive to find a good surgeon that does African American rhinoplasty routinely as this will avoid revision surgery in the future.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

African American woman seeking rhinoplasty for pig like nose?

Hello tilly9 - Thanks for your question.  There are special steps that need to be taken to help define your nose better.  It sounds to me like you need bridge augmentation, tip derotation, tip narrowing and reduction, and nostril reshaping to better balance the look of your nose to the rest of your face.  Whether or not you achieve a drastic change will depend on how thick your skin is and the creativity of your surgeon.  Here in Denver, 70% of my rhinoplasty practice involves ethnic rhinoplasty procedures.  Most of my patients have significantly thick and oily skin that requires more aggressive surgery to make more finesse appearing.  I would recommend that you consult with an ethnic rhinoplasty surgery specialist for more information. There are several in Atlanta. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for African/American Lady

I always hate to generalize when talking about rhinoplasty surgery but you do have many classic characteristics of an African/American nose. A rhinoplasty can be done to augment your bridge to provide more definition, to lengthen your nose, to narrow and define your wide tip, to increase tip projection, and to reduce the width of the base of your nose.

A rhinoplasty to refine your tip so it is less bulbous would be a good start.  Carilage grafting to give you more dorsal and tip projection as well as columellar (the middle part) projection would also be indicated.  Finally, narrowing the dorsal bridge base by breaking the bone there and narrowing the alar (nostril) base would be also be indicated.  Best wishes, Dr. T.

tilly9, see an experienced facial specialist; one that does "only faces" and has photos you like. good luck and see the video.

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

Dear tilly9, Thank you for sharing your photographs. You are definitely a candidate for rhinoplasty. You can achieve a smaller more, refined nose with surgery. Several methods can be used to achieve a small tip, taller dorsum and decrease in nasal width. I recommend an in office consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon who is experienced in ethnic rhinoplasty as this can be challenging. You can do in office computer morphing so you can communicate your desires and see if this is achievable with surgeon. Best of luck!

Gina Chu, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for sharing your photographs. You are similar to many people of color seeking an ethnic rhinoplasty. In ethnic noses the skin is often thick and fatty at the tip. This makes it hard to visualize the underlying cartilage structure. The nasal bones are also wide and flat. This leads to the under-projecting dorsum on the profile view. Your alar bases are also wide which makes the nostrils flare. It is possible to achieve a good result with an ethnic rhinoplasty. Cartilage can be used to build up your nasal tip to give it more refinement. The dorsum would also need to be augmented to provide more definition. It is important to find a surgeon with experience in ethnic rhinoplasty in order to achieve a balanced result. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

There Are Good Rhinoplasty Options Available

You should be able to get a nice result from a rhinoplasty.  Narrowing both the base of your nose as well as the tip, giving some more definition to the tip, and strengthening the bridge of the nose would all produce a drastic yet natural result.  Part of the difficulty of your specific procedure is that you appear to have thick skin and likely somewhat soft cartilage.  It is likely that you would need some additional cartilage to help give you the results you desire.  Make an appointment to see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area who has had experience with noses that looks similar to yours. Don't be discouraged, you will likely be very happy with the result.  Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD
Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon